Chapter 13:Scent of a Ranger

JESS'sPOV

It's been a week since Cam had become a ranger and we were all training on the beach.I felt a lot better after sleeping for a few hours my headache was gone and like I promised sensei I had not used my shield since that day.

Me and Kailey were sparring against each other neither getting the upper hand when all of a sudden we heard someone hit the sand behind is and we turned to see Cam getting back to his feet the weird thing is that it didn't look like anyone had touched him and from what the others were saying he was trying to show off and it went wrong.

"Maybe we should call it a day."I pointed out to Shane as because he is the leader and he nodded."Yeah maybe you're right he nodded.You could tell that Cam was not happy about it but before he could object our morphers beeped and we all turned to Shane who answered the call."Gopher, Shane."and sensei's voice answered."Shane can you ask Cam to return to ops there's something wrong with the computer I think I might have pressed the wrong button."Cam sighed at his father's voice.

"You know I told him not to touch it."He mumbled and then he ninja streaked back to ninja ops."You know I feel sorry for Cam he never gets any time to relax."I said.They all nodded and me and Kailey went back to training till finally she managed to sweep my feet out from underneath me and she won.

LATER THE NEXT DAY

The next day I was back at work just finishing tidying up the shop before I finished my shift when everyone but Cam came in and walked up to me.

"Hey what time do you finish."I looked around as Hunter spoke and checked the clock."In about ten minutes why?"I asked and they whispered to me."We were gong to ask Cam if he wants to come to the beach with us you know to get him out of ninja ops for a little bit."I sighed."Guys I'll catch up with you later on there's something I gotta do first."They frowned but nodded and didn't comment.which is good because I knew neither them nor Sensei would approve of what I'm going to do but I need to try.

After I finished my shift I went back to the old fire and ice ninja academy and when I got to the entrance I did the sign to enter. When the academy was running we used to have this machine that would shoot hard little balls at us to learn to be agile and quick to dodge.I was going to use this machine for another purpose.If it was still here.I went to the area where we used to keep the training equipment and I found one that wasn't broken.I pulled it out of storage and took it to the academy training rings outside these were blocked off so I could make sure that the balls didn't go too far.

Before I even went near the machine I sat on the floor and just relaxed.When I was completely relaxed I thought about my shield and the first two times I had used it.I had been angry or scared of attack both times and my theory is that is why it was so powerful.Maybe if I can create one of my own free will why relaxed I can lessen the strength which means I lessen the power and pain for it.So I imagined the color of the shield a pink fiery flame and I imagined it as a bubble of fire.This fire I could blow up to make it bigger but I could also control it.With my eyes closed and while completely concentrating on the color of my shield I raised my left arm and concentrated.Taking deep breaths I imagined expanding that bubble sending it through my arm and out in front of me.I felt a slight tingling sensation go through my arm.I opened my eyes.There coming out of my hand was a fiery wall that was my shield.It was a faint magenta in color and not as bright as last time but it was there I concentrated again and it expanded so it went a little further out from my hand and so it was a bit wider.I giggled and just as I was going to try and make it bigger my morpher went off.

"This is Jessica."and I hear sensei's voice over coms."Jess there is a monster attacking Blue Bay can you meet the others there I'll send you the coordinates."I nodded and replied."got it sensei."and I stood up my shield had gone when I had lost concentration but I know I can do it but I'm not telling the others till I have complete control of it. Raising my morpher I called.