Chapter 3 - Artemis

(Hey everyone, thx to everyone who's continuing to read this fanfic, it's super encouraging to see that ppl are actually enjoying it. This chapter's going to start at the exact same place that the last one ended so as a quick refresher, Knowledgeseeker brought in a random dragon into the cave, and the siblings got told that they have to kill him, that's really all the context you need from last chapter to start reading this one. Pls continue to vote it up on wattpad, the readership has increased so much over the past 2 weeks, and a lot of that is ppl voting chapters up so if it's not too much pls keep doing it. Other than that this is prob my 2nd fav chapter I've written for this fanfic so far, second only to prologue pt 2. That's all. Enjoy, hopefully!)

Executioner? Knowledgeseeker's last words sent a shudder down Artemis' spine. She stared at her frozen talons. They ached as if the muscles inside were about to burst out. Who was the dragon in front of her? Did he have his own Apollo? Or was he another Knowledgeseeker? Why was he being killed? Did he deserve it? Should she do it or should she not? Was there even a choice? Questions began to flow through her mind like a raging river of thoughts, none having any answers attached to them.

Looking back at Pathfinder, she examined his face for the first time. His eyes glistened under the torch light, tears streaming down his slim cheeks. His nostrils flared, trying to take back the breaths stolen from him by the gag over his mouth. Fear was written all over his face with a quivering jaw and creased eyebrows. It was a look she knew all too well. Her mind flashed with images of Knowledgeseeker's torture, and the nerves in her body felt like they were being electrocuted all over again.

Knowledgeseeker began removing Pathfinder's bindings. The first to go was the brown, leather gag tied in his jaws. Pathfinder gasped for air, his face turning from an unnatural bright red back to a normal black. He looked slightly more relaxed but still flailed around the floor. Another wave of terror washed over his face as a thick metal collar was fastened around his neck with a length of chain tethering him to a hook on the stone wall of the experiment cave. Not even seconds later Knowledgeseeker quickly slashed the ropes that tied Pathfinder's limbs together.

Immediately the previously bound dragon sprung to his feet, still wheezing and shaking in his stance. Pathfinder's eyes darted back and forth, scanning the room. His muscles twitched as he dropped into a pounce before bolting towards the exit of the cave, breezing right past Artemis and her brother. Suddenly his body jerked back, being pulled by the chain attached to his neck.

Idiot, Artemis thought. There wasn't any escape once Knowledgeseeker had his hands on you, Artemis was a dragon that knew that first hand. Pathfinder attempted to wrestle the collar off of its place, rattling the chain behind him to no avail. Blood began to stream out as he clawed at the metal binding around his neck.

"You heard me", Knowledgeseeker said , "kill him". The coldness with which he uttered that last phrase sent a chill down Artemis' spine. Not a whimper. Not a tear. Not a growl. Just... cold. The siblings were still frozen, as if they were the ones shackled to the floor. Her arms felt so heavy that Artemis wasn't sure if she would be able to move even if she wanted to.

Artemis glanced over at Apollo. His face was hard to read. It was some conflicted mixture of surprise, confusion, and sadness. He looked like he was just as frozen as she was. "Each second you refuse to move, I will take more from you." Knowledgeseeker continued in the same stoic tone.

"It'll start with your food". Artemis' stomach grumbled, she hadn't eaten anything apart from the lizard that she and Apollo had caught just one hour ago, it wasn't like she was being fed anyway. "Then I'll take your water". Knowledgeseeker took a slight pause gauging whether or not his threats were effective.

"And then", he continued "your time together will come to an end". Something inside Artemis snapped, she could deal without food or water, but she wasn't going to revert to the lonely, miserable dragonet she was before she met Apollo. No. I won't let that happen. Artemis clenched her teeth. If this was his game, it's best to look like she was playing it.