Chapter 1

Please feel free to image these characters however you would like (Race, gender, appearance.. whatever comes to mind)! 

 whatever comes to mind)! 

I was sitting in the back of my dad's black SUV with my arms tightly crossed across my chest. I know that most would consider seventeen too old an age to be pouting, but at least I wasn't throwing a temper tantrum. And in my current situation, I feel I'm allowed to grant myself some liberties.

My dad cut the engine and the radio went silent. The thickness of the air was palpable.  I jumped out of my seat and attempted to squeeze out of the car in front of my twin brother, Matt, but wasn't fast enough to sidestep his best friend and utter jerk Wesley Tyler; though he would always be simply Tyler to me. 

 The result was that I plowed into his back. Jeez, he didn't even step back, just absorbed the impact. Not like I was going full tilt or anything. Course being the jerk he is, rather than just proceeding out the door, he had to turn around and prolong my moments of claustrophobic misery.

He was already grating on my nerves and we hadn't even been home for two full minutes. I didn't even know why.

"Please, ladies first," he said smoothly. For Tyler, this was practically Prince Charming, but for some reason, this unexpected change just seemed to bother me more.

"Well, in that case, you better go first," I replied.

"Whatever makes you happy Sunshine," he said cheerfully, before hopping out of the car and going to the trunk to get his bag.

"I still say chivalry is dead," I mumbled before following.

Wesley Tyler couldn't believe his luck. He sat in silence, absorbed in thought, as they approached their destination. It took all of his (admittedly low) willpower to restrain himself from turning around in his seat to gawk at Maddie. It sounded cheesy even to him, but her scent was driving him mad. At the moment her scent was viciously testing his self-control in the stifling car; slowly driving him to do something he knew he would regret.

He couldn't explain his new infatuation with her even to himself. He knew he couldn't have feelings for her. She was Maddie, his best friend's twin sister, whom he had practically grown up with. She was the very definition of out of bounds. And he promised himself that she would stay that way. No matter how wonderful she smelled.

Thus, with this at the forefront of his mind, he took to staring out the window where the sparkling blue lake and woods surrounding it made him smile. It was the perfect place to spend the summer.

When they finally pulled up to the house he attempted to make a quick exit. He knew he needed to escape her scent if he was to avoid singing lovesick ballads, or worse. Unfortunately, she chose that moment to bump into him. All he could think about was how slight she was.

He had never come into contact with her like this before. Sure their hands must have touched...accidentally while walking, or while playing tag or something, but never body contact like this. He never imagined she'd feel so slender since her slim figure was always concealed beneath layers of baggy clothes.

Though she was tall and had well-toned muscle for a gal, he couldn't shake the feeling that she seemed so fragile. He had to resist the urge to wrap his arms around her protectively. Instead, he darted out of the car before he could make a fool of himself. He hoped the fresh air could clear his head. Maybe it was going to be a rough summer after all.

Copyrighted Material. All rights reserved.

Copyright JonasMirs

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods, without prior written permission of the publisher, except in the case of brief quotations embodied in critical reviews and certain other noncommercial uses permitted by copyright law.

This is a work of fiction. Any names, characters, businesses, places, events, or incidents are fictitious. Any resemblance to an actual person, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.