Chapter 15

"How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?" Stella asked.

"I don't know. How much?" Mary had forgotten her trip to the kitchen to get raisins and brown sugar.

"He wouldn't chuck any wood. There wouldn't be any reason to," Julia said.

"Nope, you can't know that can you? Maybe he would chuck wood if he could chuck wood," Stella answered.

"I think it depends on how good his dentures are," Mary said. "What is a woodchuck anyway?"

"I'm not sure. I think it's like a beaver."

"No, it can't be a beaver, because beavers chuck wood...don't they?" Julia asked.

"I said 'like a beaver.'"

"Hey gals, I think we'll have to put the chocolate on hold. I've got an idea!" I said, not having any idea of what I'd just interrupted.

"Oh, here it comes," Stella said apprehensively.

"Do we still have that leftover pink paint?"

"Yeah, it's in the closet why? You don't think that would help your hair, do you? Because I think I would rather stick with the blue, rather than that pink," Stella said while stirring her chocolate.

"No, I wasn't planning on using it on my hair. I was thinking the guy's room could use a feminine touch!"

"I like the sound of that," Mary said from her bed.

"But what about your hair, you can't avoid the chocolate forever you know," Stella said.

"Says who?" I mumbled. I don't think she heard me though, or maybe she just pretended not to.

"Maybe we won't need to resort to chocolate," Julia said.

"But I've already got in melted."

"That's great. We can have chocolate fondue. Sounds better than eating it off my head," I said.

"Why don't we try my conditioner? It does miracles with my hair," Julia suggested.

"Alright but after we paint their room. I don't know how long we've got."

"Well if they're having a bonfire we've got a good two hours at least," Mary said.

"Oh, we all know that they're not having a bonfire."

"Yeah, that looks good. Do you think we should try to move the beds to get the white patches behind them?"

"Naw, let's just go around the beds. We still need to put the last-minute touches on. And we don't know when they'll be back."

"Alright, who wants the spray paint, and who's taking toilet paper?'

"I think I'll go with the toilet paper. I've had enough paint to last me the week," Mary said catching the role I tossed to her.

Julia and Stella took a spray paint bottle each. They were far more skilled when it came to the unfortunate art of drawing hearts and stars and leaving me with the second toilet paper roll, which suited me just fine.

"Hey, do you think this is Wes' bed?" Stella asked after several minutes from the other side of the room.

"Looks like his stuff, why?" I asked after a glance. I was reluctant to turn away from the toilet paper toss I had going with Mary. It resulted in a rather impressive Teepee-like structure involving the chandelier and an illicit affair with the oil lamp.

"Why do you ask?" I repeated, eventually turning to look at Stella, which resulted in a resounding blow to the back of the head by a stray toilet paper roll. And by 'stray' I mean Mary's very intentional and well-aimed throw. Not that I was now paying any attention to the battle wound. I was too focused on the sickening message now painted on the opposite wall.

"Oh, no reason!" Stella said finishing off her message with an unnecessary flourish.

Copyright Material. All rights reserved.