Chapter 36

"Wes took it," said Stella matter-of-factly.

"It was totally Wes," said Julia.

"No way," said Maddie. "He wouldn't have had time."

"Does anyone have any chocolate?" said Mary.

"Are we sure it wasn't the fake diary?" said Julia.

"Nope the real one," said Stella. "Of course, the thief wouldn't have gone for the obvious option."

"It was hidden in plain sight. He probably didn't even see it," said Julia.

"Maybe he DID read it, and thought the first entry about revealing lingerie wasn't authentic," said Stella with a laugh.

"Yeah, that might have been a bit of a giveaway," said Maddie. "I still don't see how it could be Wes that took it though."

"He's so whipped he'd do whatever he thinks might win the girl ..even if it is unsavory. And by taking the diary, he probably thinks he can frame Ash for the crime. Defeating his competition," said Julia.

"All's fair in love and war," said Mary.

"I don't know.." said Maddie. "I think you guys exaggerate his feelings for me. Besides, he seemed so surprised when we mentioned it was missing."

"Course he's surprised! He didn't think we'd notice so quickly," said Stella. "Probably panicking because he hadn't found a good hole to bury it in just yet. We should have patted him down before he left."

"Nathan and Matt too for that matter. Might as well cross our T's.," said Julia.

"Aha!" said Stella with a joking wink. "I bet you'd like a chance to pat down Matt wouldn't you!"

Julia laughed, "Heck no!" She threw a pillow towards where Stella was sitting on the couch opposite the outdoor seating area. Their room would need at least a week to air out the stench. 

"He's Maddie's brother," Julia continued. "I would have made her pat him down. Wes too.." She added as an afterthought.

Maddie attempted to hit her red cheeks with her hands. Willing her mind not to wander to the topless picture of Wes she had on her phone from when he and her brother were skinny dipping in the lake at the start of summer. It seemed so long ago now somehow.

"Ah well," said Stella after a few moments of quiet. "What's done is done. The only question is .. what do we do now?"

"For starters, we'll have to sleep downstairs on the couch," said Julia. "Our beds have been compromised with itching powder. It's already 7 pm. There isn't enough time today to get the bedding washed. Even if we can withstand the stench long enough to get it out of the room."

"We'll have to get my diary back too," said Maddie. "I wrote such horrible things in there about Wes. I don't care so much about who the culprit is. Just that Wes doesn't read it."

"We'll get it back Maddie," said Julia. "Maybe you can ask Ash about it on your date tomorrow,"

"It'll be ok," said Mary.

"Does anyone want to bet $20 we don't find it?" said Stella.

Copyrighted Material

Copyrighted Material. All rights reserved.