Chapter 9

Well, that backfired.

Wes was back in his room thinking about the unfortunate conversation with Maddie's brother. He only told Matt about his obsession to get it off his chest. He thought that by telling someone he wouldn't feel so much pressure. But Matt's words still echoed through his mind; befuddling his brain to no end.

"If you're so smitten with her, why did you go and dye her hair blue?"

"I already told you it was unintentional!"

Wes huffed when he thought about it. And now, to further torment his troubled mind, in less than twenty-four hours he had to temporarily give up his masculine tendencies. How did he even get talked into that one?

Any way he looked at it, he was worse off than a pickled herring in hot water. Very hot water-

His thoughts were interrupted by an ungodly stench. He looked up from where he was carelessly sprawled on his bed to see Matt bouncing in the doorway.

Wes didn't remember him smelling so bad in the woods. Perhaps some fresh air makes all the difference.

"Oh, it's you," Wes said, returning to his stupor.

"Who else would it be? Your dearly beloved asking you to 'take me now?'" Matt gave a bad imitation of Maddie's melodically beautiful voice. "'Mark me as your own!'"

A guy can hope, Wes thought to himself.

He threw a pillow at Matt to shut him up and smirked when it collided with his thick head. "Get your dirty mind out of the gutter will ya?"

"If it's already dirty why bother taking it out of the gutter? If anything, the rainwater will rinse it clean a bit."

Wes wasn't sure if Matt was serious, so instead he chose to pursue the issue more pertinent to his survival, and more specifically, his mental well-being.

"Speaking of dirty when's the last time you bathed? Cause you wreak worse than that day I dared you to eat those spoiled beans. And we all know how that turned out."

"It wasn't my fault the hamster died! Poor Hubert had been looking pale the whole week before," said Matt.

"Of course, he looked pale, he had white fur you numbnut. So are you going to tell me what that smell is or wait until I join Hubert in the hereafter?"

"I don't know if you and Hubert would end up in the same place if you catch my drift."

"I catch your 'drift' alright," said Wes, plugging his nose with his figures,

"If you must know, I just found my lucky socks, and thought I better warm them up before ♪Julia♫ gets here tomorrow!!" Matt finished in a singsong.

Well, that explains the bouncing...

"And you wonder why she always rejects you?" said Wes, while trying his best to avert his nose. "Have you ever considered washing 'your lucky socks?'"

"I can't wash them!" Matt answered indignantly as though Wes had just suggested they should wear Gerber daisies in their hair... again. "They're my lucky socks."

"Dude that's not luck, it's a complete and utter lack of hygiene," Wes replied. "Look," he continued, "if you won't wash them, and won't...I don't know, douse them with three liters of kerosene and send them to the incinerator, then at least you can take a swim."

Wes walked past a puzzled Matt to his door.

"Take a swim??"

"Yeah, you won't even have to take them off."

Copyrighted Material

Copyrighted Material. All rights reserved.