Chapter 40

"That's the thing though," said Ash, picking up a stone close to where he sat on the grass. It was warm from the heat of the sun. He fiddled it around his fingers a bit, before tossing it away. "It's like it's taboo or something. I can't read it."

"If you're not going to read it, why did we steal it in the first place?" said Nathan who was swaying slightly in a low-hung hammock.

"Well, I couldn't have known before we took it could I?" said Ash. 

"Ok, so give it back then," said Nathan, stating the obvious.

"But I can't do that either. She'd hate me! She can't know I'm the one that took it." 

"Then... we can leave it on the counter in the kitchen and she can find it and not know who took it," said Nathan.

"And if Wes finds it? Or one of the other guys?" said Asher. "I'd rather die than see them invade her privacy like that!"

Nathan laughed. "Says the guy that stole it in the first place."

"I told you I didn't know then!" said Asher. Tearing up a handful of grass in his frustration. "Look man, I'm in a predicament. I need your help."

Nathan sighed and wondered if he'd been a bit abrasive. "Alright, he said. I'll have access to Matt's cabinet for 30 minutes this afternoon. I can put it in there, where it'll be safe. No one ever goes in there."

"You're a saint Nate," said Asher.

"Yeah yeah, I haven't heard that one before," said Nate, taking the dairy from Ash. "Remember though, once it goes in... it's near impossible to get it out again. You're sure this is what you want?"

"It's the only option now," said Ash. "The only way to protect her privacy."

"The only way that doesn't compromise your good standing with her you mean," said Nathan.

"Well... I guess so."

Asher and Maddie went into town for their date that evening. The restaurant was cozy, and lit with candlelight. Soft music rippled slowly through the warm air.

"I think we should break up," said Maddie.

"Yeah, I get that," said Asher, who admittedly was feeling relief. They were better as friends. There just wasn't chemistry beyond that. He was feeling worried about losing his "have a girl kiss you" bet though. His time was running out. 

"Friends is ok though?" he asked Maddie after the waiter brought them their drinks.

"Friends is great!" said Maddie. 

"Cheers to being great friends," said Asher.

"Cheers!" said Maddie as they clinked glasses. The cream soda was cold against the roof of her mouth.

When their food orders came they ate in silence. The insect buzzed in the distance, and the candle's flame flickered in the soft breeze. It suddenly seems rather romantic for two friends. Ash felt like he should ask her to dance or something. He might have if he knew how. 

He might have if there weren't other.. more important things to be discussing... 

Copyrighted Material

Copyrighted Material. All rights reserved.