Chapter 24

"The grass is green," Wes muttered contentedly. He had finally fallen asleep nine minutes ago. His mind wouldn't stop analyzing the meaning of that darn message.

"Dude, wake up," said Matt, throwing a pillow at Wes, who was curled sweetly around one of the four table legs.

"don't do that," said Wes sleepily swatting at the air around his head, as though shooing away a particularly sizable fly, "I'm sleeping..." he trailed off.

"Well stop sleeping! We have a pack meeting that started three minutes ago!"

"What are we werewolves?" Asher asked from the kitchen.

But Matt was too busy crawling towards Wes' new 'domain' to answer.

"Someone get me some shaving cream and a feather," said Matt.

"Where do you expect us to get a feather?" said Nathan, approaching the table too.

"Don't bother I'm up," said Wes, finally opening his eyes only to find Matt's face mere inches above his own. Let's just say that it's not the best sight to wake up to.

"Holy Chiznits!" Wes jumped away from the eyes hovering eerily above him.

"Oh, good you're up!"

"Never, do, that, again," said Wes, pausing after each word for emphasis.

"I bet you wouldn't be complaining if I was Maddie," Matt taunted.

Matt was entirely too cheerful for nine in the morning after a sleepless night on a hard floor.
"But you're not Maddie..." said Wes, wiggling away from Matt.

"Good morning Westhy-Poo!" Matt sang in a baby voice while making faces. Wes hoped it wasn't another imitation of Maddie.

"And I always thought they were straight," Stella said to Julia, entering the room from behind the stairway door. She lifted her shoulders in a 'who knew' type of movement.

The rest of the girls were descending the staircase behind them, but they proceeded toward the front door without giving the guys much attention. Maddie was the last to pass by.

"Holy Chiznits...again," said Wes.

"Your sister is freakin hot dude," Nathan said to Matt.

Wes couldn't help but feel protective when he noticed that both Nathan and Asher were drooling over her.

Maddie blushed at the unusual attention, but the color only made her more radiant.

"Your hair's brown," said Wes by way of good morning, but immediately regretted it. Did I just say that? Your hair is brown? Talk about bad pickup lines... 'Your hair is brown.' From the corner of his eye, he could already see Asher laughing. Well, at least he wasn't staring at Maddie like a piece of prime steak anymore.

"Aren't you observant," Maddie replied dryly. She continued walking as though she had more important things to do than chat with a group of foolhardy, hormonal, teenage guys...Which she probably did, Wes rationalized.

"Maddie, wait up," said Wes, getting up from his mess of bedding to scamper after Maddie.

She had reluctantly stopped to wait for him in the entryway. The other girls had already proceeded outside and were chatting amongst themselves a short distance away. The front door was left wide open in their wake allowing the morning sunlight to flood the entryway. It glistened around the narrow hall making Maddie's hair shine and eyes twinkle. A sudden, warm breeze surged past her, carrying her addictive scent straight to Wes. He would have closed his eyes to focus solely on that sweet vanilla smell, but he just couldn't take his eyes off of her.