Some Self Respect (Samstiel)

Relationship Status: Friends
Sam P.O.V

I squeeze my eyes shut as I hear Dean yelling at Cas. I sigh, turning away from them. 'Cas, please. Stand up for yourself for once,' I silently beg. 

"Dean-"

"No, don't. Don't talk to me."

I hear a set of footsteps departing and open my eyes, turning to see Dean leaving and Cas staring hopelessly after him. He then turns to me, as if expecting something. And after a moment of silence, Cas looked down, taking in a shaky breath.

"Just do something Sam. . . Blame me or yell at me or something, please!"

I look at Castiel, surprised. I wasn't expecting that. I walk over to him and noticed the tears in his eyes as he stares up at me. I bring him into a hug, feeling him stiffen. I guess he was expecting something else.

He hesitantly returns the hug as I start rubbing circles into his back. "I don't understand. . . What is the meaning of this?"

I pull away, grabbing his shoulders and looking down at him. I take a deep breath, trying to figure out a way to explain to him. "Look Cas. I care about you, a lot, and I would help you with anything you need. But. . . I know you're capable of a lot of things. And standing up for yourself, apparently isn't one of them."

Cas tilts his head, giving me a confused look. Before he can speak, I continue, "The way Dean treats you, the way you let him treat you, it's not okay. I get I have been guilty of that too, but still. . . The way you let us walk all over you, telling you to do this or that and you don't even question it! It's not okay at all! I can't stand watching you do that, Cas."

"I-I don't-"

"Yes, you do. Okay listen. . . I respect you. I appreciate all you've done for us, I'm grateful. But when me or Dean get angry at you for no reason, you don't even defend yourself! You just accept it. Especially with Dean. The way he treats you. . ."

"You guys are my friends, I-"

"That doesn't cut it. Just because we're your friends doesn't mean you can't stand up for yourself. The way you let Dean treat you, that's not friendship! If you have at least a little respect for yourself, you don't let people talk to you like that."

Cas doesn't say anything for a few minutes, looking up at me helplessly. He shakes his head, sitting down on the table. He looks so lost. . . and it's breaking my heart. The angel looks up, taking shaky breaths. "I. . . It's true, isn't it?"

I look down, not saying anything. I look up as Cas walks away, up the stairs, and hear the jangle of keys. "Where are you going?" 

"I'm leaving for a bit. I'll be back soon, I promise."

"Let me come with!"

"Why? To keep an eye on me?"

"No, I'd just rather not be alone. And I wouldn't talk to Dean when he's mad."

Cas shrugs as I quickly head up the stairs after him. I'm a little worried about Cas, and besides, Dean needs some space. 

Cas looks at me confused, and says, "Aren't you going to leave a note for Dean?" 

I smile at him, and hold up my phone. "If he wants to know where I am, he'll call. And trust me, he'll be worried about you too."

"I thought you said he-"

"He does care about you, he just doesn't respect you."

Cas nods, although I don't think he understands. I walk past him and head outside, looking back to see Cas following closely.