fourteen

Everything burned

Everything burned.

Jane was under the care of doctors at Vought Tower but there was nothing they could do. She was still unconscious as things erupted into red flame before turning to red ash (like rose petals) just as quickly.

Even a person died. He had went to scream but the process was so fast that he was reduced to ash before he could get a sound out.

The doctors left her in a room alone as even touching her was suicide. The temperature of her body was so high that if anyone touched her, that body part was immediately eviscerated.

In fact, the whole room had become so hot that no one could even step foot inside. At least, not anyone normal.

"You're telling me that you have no idea what's wrong with her?" Homelander said angrily. "And you can't even help her?"

The doctor swallowed in fear, "She needs to cool down. Her temperature is too high. But we just don't know how...to cool her down."

"So basically she needs to be stuck in a freezer?" he asked.

"Theoretically, yes," the doctor said nervously. "I wouldn't leave her in one..."

Homelander rolled his eyes before approaching her room and entering. It looked like the whole room was covered in red.

He picked her up, carrying her bridal style. Where he held her scorched his suit but that didn't matter. He held her gently as he carried her out, "I'm going to make it better, Jane."

_____

John flew her away from the building and to the Arctic Ocean near Antarctica. If anything was cold enough, it was that.

                He broke the ice with his fist and made a hole. Then he set her body into the water, hovering over her as he held her afloat.

                He noticed the ice around her started to melt. But he could sense her temperature was going down; it just took so long. He waited and he waited. Until she started to blink and open her eyes.

                 Her eyes were glowing red. But not like his. Hers seemed to have constant movement as what looked like red flames moved across her eyes. They were beautiful.

                   She blinked again and the glow disappeared, returning to her normal green eyes, "John?"

                He quickly pulled her out of the water and held her against him, hugging her tightly. His voice was tinged with worry and relief, "Don't you ever fucking do that to me again."

                "What did I do?" her voice was quiet and confused.

               ______