twenty-three

SEASON THREE
EPISODE THREE

After her breakdown, she quickly packed up what she needed and booked it out of there. She went to the loft where she knew in the morning she'd be surrounded by people she trusted.

She didn't want to actually go to Billy and tell him what happened. She didn't want anyone protecting her and getting hurt. There was only so much she could take and her friends getting hurt wasn't something she could handle.

She attempted to sleep on the couch curled up in a ball but she was too scared. So she started cleaning to keep herself busy as Billy told her that MM was coming back into the fold and apparently he was a clean freak and had OCD so she wanted to do something nice.

She mopped and vacuumed and dusted. She wiped the desks down all to keep her mind busy and away from her inevitable future where she'd be in a forced relationship with Homelander.

By the time dawn broke in the sky, she was sitting at a desk playing with a potted plant. Her sadness made it wither and she had to keep making it grow again.

When it started to become time for people to show up, she went ahead and started the coffee pot. She ordered fresh donuts and set them out on a table.

By then, everyone started showing up. Frenchie and Kimiko kept looking around the place like it was brand new. MM arrived and his eyes widened, "Is this place actually spotless?"

"I....wanted to do something nice," Jane smiled nervously. "Billy told me you're usually the one to clean up the messes which I thought was a tall order and I'm rambling...sorry."

"Nah, you're all good. I'm glad someone around here knows how to clean," he gave a pointed look to Frenchie who got donut crumbs all over his desk before he held out his hand. "Mother's Milk. But just call me MM."

"Jane," she smiled and shook his hand.

Then Billy walked through the door and he paused, "What the hell happened to this place?"

"Jane cleaned," Frenchie explained. "She also got donuts and made coffee already."

"Yeah, how did you get her to stay?" MM asked.

"She just likes me too much. Right, lovely?" Butcher smirked in her direction where she was now making coffee for herself.

She could only manage a half-hearted smile, "Yeah, right, Billy. I'm only here for Kimiko."

              Billy? MM thought before he gave Frenchie a look as he mouthed, "Are they fucking?"

               Frenchie smirked as he mouthed back, "Definitely."

              Kimiko smiled widely before walking over and handing her a KitKat bar. The mute girl had noticed she didn't have any chocolate today and since Jane was doing so much, she wanted to do something in return.

               Jane took it gently, "Thanks, Kimiko."

                   "What? You broke routine and left the candy at home?" Butcher asked as she stirred her coffee.