𝐕. 𝐂𝐡𝐞𝐜𝐤𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐞

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

"Your routes will be simple, each night your name is on the rotation, we'll meet here. The Head Boy or Girl in charge that night will make and hand out the routes." Talbott said, a bundle of parchment in his hands as he passed them out between the Prefects and the three other Head's that stood beside him.

The room was slightly crowded, with twenty-four Prefects and four Head Boys and Girls.

Edith stood in between Mallory and Percy, looking at the schedule Talbott had given her.

At first glance, it was slightly complicated to follow, but after Mallory noticed her confusion, she quietly muttered to Edith, occasionally pointing to places on the schedule with some explanations.

If Talbott noticed, he didn't say anything.

"Alright. Any questions?"

A sixth year raised his hand. "So... what do we actually do if we find someone out past curfew?" The Gryffindor boy asked, stifling a yawn.

"Should you find a student out of their common room after curfew, you're to bring them to either the nearest one of us, or the nearest Head of House. A subject Professor is also a suitable person to bring the student to. Explain the situation, and if you're asked to, escort the student back to their common room." Percy instructed the group.

"If you're unsure about anything, be it the schedules or even what to do in a certain situation, just come to us. We're always going to be here." Mallory smiled, gesturing to herself and then the others beside her.

"Is everyone on the same page?"

A collection of nodding and agreeing murmurs sounded through the room.

"Good. Remember, you've been given this opportunity for a reason. Don't disappoint yourself." Talbott spoke sternly, waving a hand once he had finished.

"Okay. Those on the schedule for tonight, stay here. The rest of you, back to your common rooms. Tonight's group, you're with me and Percy for a training night to go over the basics. Mallory, you're good to head out early if you'd like. Edith," Talbott turned to her.

"How're you feeling? Any issues you want to discuss?"

Edith shook her head. "No, I think I get it. Do my routes, do them again, swap out with whatever Prefect meets me in the Entrance Hall. Head back to my common room."

Talbott smiled, nodding. "Very good. You'll be great, Edith, you just don't see it yet. Mallory will walk you to the History of Magic hallway. Mal? Can you walk Edith to the start of her route, please?"

Mallory shrugged, lacing her arm in Edith's. "Sure thing, boss!"

"Thanks. Have a nice night, girls."

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

Patrol was much more peaceful than Edith had expected. Besides having a glance at the passing portraits every now and again to make sure everyone was in their place, it really was just a task of walking around a part of the castle.

Edith could've jumped for joy in the Meeting Room when she spotted the Astronomy Tower on her route for the majority of the week. She loved it up there, especially in summer when the breeze was warm to the touch.

The Finch walked, hands comfortably in her pockets. Her mind began to wander, specifically to the Boggart fiasco the day before.

She didn't dwell on her own fears however, that could come at a later date. Edith thought of Murphy's fear, or more specifically, the second scenario they were shown.