𝐗𝐈. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐌𝐨𝐧𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐈𝐧𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐔𝐬 𝐀𝐥𝐥

══════⊹⊱≼≽⊰⊹══════

"So. Hufflepuff beat Slytherin." Oliver Wood's voice was unexpected as Murphy and Edith sat in the Great Hall at breakfast. He stood beside their bench, arms crossed over his chest with an interested expression on his face.

Murphy looked up from where they had been shovelling several strips of bacon into their mouth, swallowing and wiping the back of their palm to get rid of the grease. Silently, Edith slapped their shoulder, a motherly look in her eyes as she stared at them.

Murphy blinked sheepishly, turning serious as they swung on their seat, twirling around to face the boy. Edith's legs fell on their lap, and the metamorphmagus used her shins as a perch for their robe covered elbows.

If Oliver was intimidated by the stance, he didn't show it.

"We did. No surprise there, though." Murphy shrugged, a confident grin etched onto their face. They stared up at the boy through their fringe, a glint of something swirling in their eyes.

Oliver narrowed his own eyes, and Edith could practically see the bolts of competitive lightning crashing between them, the spark that leapt from one's eyes to the others, only speeding up as the seconds passed.

Quidditch meant the world to Murphy, it was such a giant part of their personality, of their soul, that Edith really couldn't imagine them without it.

The same could be said for Oliver.

They'd never admit it, but Edith thought the two were quite alike, in that way.

The Quidditch Captains at the school were always passionate about their sport, how could they not be?

But certain players are just born to play, to challenge themselves again and again on the pitch, seeking to either make themselves or break themselves trying.

Oliver Wood and Murphy Monroe were two of those people.

Edith enjoyed Quidditch, of course she did, besides Transfiguration it was one of the best things in her life, but she knew that out of the two of them, Murphy was the one more suited to committing their life to it.

"Gryffindor beat Ravenclaw." Oliver told them flatly.

"Yes..... and?"

Edith kicked Murphy.

"Ow!... sorry. We heard about that, yeah." Murphy rephrased, rubbing their chest while giving Edith the side-eye.

"Guess that means it'll be a rematch at the final, then?"

Murphy blanked, their head recoiling. They squinted their eyes, thinking for a moment, various scores racing through their head.

Finally, they caught up with what Oliver had figured out.

Hufflepuff winning against Slytherin, and Gryffindor winning against Ravenclaw meant that the final match of the year (the match that was only two months away) would be a rematch between Hufflepuff and Gryffindor.

Edith blinked, the realisation dawning on her as well.

"Well fuck, right you are, Wood." A wicked grin grew on Murphy's face, the adrenaline already pumping into their system. Murphy stood, arms swinging at their sides.

Oliver watched them.

Murphy, still grinning, held up an arm in Wood's direction.

Oliver's stare warped into a challenging smirk.

The two Captain's shook hands, and surrounding players in the room took notice. There was a fire inside each of their eyes.

Hogwarts wouldn't forget this match for a while, Edith knew that.