nueve

"Meena, do you have any pain meds?" Abhigna sniffled loudly, bare arms hugging her waist. The call had gone silent before Abhigna knew it, as she just sat there. Meenakshi just hung up on her, and now she was sitting all alone, on her dark red couch in front of the T.V. 

Not even a few moments passed, before Abhigna heard a sudden and threatening banging on her door. 

"Abhigna, open the fucking door before I break in." Meenakshi warned, readying her fist again. The door creaked open, Abhigna snuggled in a dangerously thin bedsheet, puffy eyes sunk into her skull. Meenakshi walked inside, handwoven basket in one hand and a fleece red sweatshirt in the other. 

"Are you cuddling with a bedsheet?" The girl questioned with her eyebrow raised, scoffing when her friend meekly nodded. 

"Are you dumb? Here, wear this." Meenakshi ripped off the black bedsheet, revealing Abhigna's figure hiding behind a tank top hanging very loosely off her shoulders and cropped athletic pants. Abhigna wriggled through her friend's college sweatshirt, sighing in relief at the sudden warmth that engulfed her body. "It was just in my dryer, so I brought it." Meenakshi set the basket on the counter, emptying out all the contents she had packed in it. She dragged Abhigna to sit on the bar stool as she got her a glass of water. 

"So, what did you watch today to make you cry so much?" Meenakshi joked, noticing the quick shift in Abhigna's demeanor when her back straightened. 

"I was watching, um,  Sofia the First. It made me realize how dumb growing up is." She sipped her glass of water slowly. "This nine year old was given a magical necklace, and then she's expected to save the world. Like isn't that cruel? How doesn't she crack under pressure? She carries so much responsibility on her shoulders." Abhigna trailed off, not sure how to continue. She felt Meenakshi's warm hands atop hers.

"Well, I think Sofia knows she has the support of the people around her, and that they're always there to help. That she isn't a burden, and that her hard work is paying off." The younger gave a small smile, before pushing the suffocated ziploc bag.

"I have some of Felix' leftover brownies from the other day. Thought you might like some." Abhigna stood up, before engulfing Meenakshi in a hug, Meenakshi surrounded by big fluffy red arms. Abhigna's chin snuggled into her neck as she eagerly opened the ziploc bag.

"You didn't even need to doubt." Abhigna took a big bite from the scrumptious desert, letting its crumbly coating melt in her mouth. 

"Wanna study together? I still have so much work." Abhigna offered, head gesturing to her school bag sloppily lying on the floor. 

"Sure. I literally haven't been paying attention to any of the lectures this week." Meenakshi said, before jumping off the chair. "I'll be right back." She walked out the dorm room, leaving Abhigna alone. She opened her phone, wiping away the dried up stray tears, when she saw a notification.

'l.felix20 has requested to follow you'

——

a/n: i was on call with a friend and i just hung up. it's 3:45 am :D

goodnight ! i love you!