The Penultimate

Kyra stood on the battlements, loosing arrow after arrow as the rain crashed down around her, exhaustion slowly creeping in, but still she forced herself to keep the hordes at bay.
Wave after wave of Morgana's men rushed at the keep.
Kyra reached for another arrow but came up short, her hand grasped at the air desperately before she cursed and looked around her quickly, her eyes zeroed in on a discarded quiver further along the palisade containing a dozen arrows. She ran through the driving rain, dodging bodies that lay strewn across the walkway, she slid on her knees to the arrows and spun around loosing an arrow back over the wall before she stood quickly, wiping the rain out of her eyes angrily and nocked another.

The hair on the back of her neck prickled and a cold feeling washed over her, she turned slowly and found Lancelot standing silently at the other end of the walkway. Her stomach lurched as he moved forwards, her hands shook as she gripped her bow tightly. Panic crept its way up her body and her breathing quickened. Lancelot grinned darkly as he watched her, "Hello, wildcat" he called over the rain, Kyra fought to control her breathing and lifted her bow, training an arrow on him. He took a step forward and chuckled as she stepped back hastily. " come now, there's no need for this, we know each other... Intimately" he called as he walked towards her slowly, a sickly smile on his face. Kyra fought the urge to vomit and kept her arrow trained to his forehead, "Stay back" she called, her voice shaking. Lancelot kept walking towards her, she loosed the arrow quickly but he batted it to the side with his sword and ran at her angrily. Kyra tried to nock another arrow but he reached her and bashed the bow from her hands, she scrambled backwards desperately. She stumbled over a body and landed on the ground heavily, Lancelot grabbed at her but she kicked him off, crawling backwards, her hand closed around an arrow shaft and she gripped it tightly as he grabbed her tunic pulling her upright and wrapping a hand around her throat. She scrabbled at his hand with her free hand as he lifted her easily off of the ground with inhumane strength. He grinned evilly and tightened his grip around her neck, she fought for breath, her legs kicking air as he held her up. 

A shape moved indistinctly behind him in the darkness, Kyra looked again but saw nothing as dark spots started to cloud her vision. "you will always be mine" Lancelot snarled with a sneer, Kyra's struggling began to wain as her lungs squeezed. "go fuck yourself" she gasped wheezily, darkness starting to creep in. Lancelot started to laugh before his breath hitched and he gasped in confusion. His hand loosened momentarily around Kyra's throat allowing her to gulp down a lungful of air painfully, she looked behind him and saw Merlin holding a sword, blood trickling down his face from a cut on his head and tear tracks in the soot. Lancelot glanced behind him at Merlin, his face softened slightly, "Merlin" he said quietly with a look of betrayal on his face, Kyra gripped the arrow shaft tight in her hand and thrust it into his neck. Blood spattered across her face as the arrowhead sunk deep.

Lancelot's hand opened and Kyra fell heavily onto the ground, coughing as she felt her throat. He swayed on the spot, his mouth frothed with blood as he struggled to breathe. Kyra glared at him as she massaged her throat, his eyes searched the air before they grew dull and he collapsed onto the ground in front of her, never to move again. Kyra and Merlin stared at his body for a moment before Kyra started to laugh in shock, Merlin looked at her confusedly as she laughed. The laughs soon turned hysterical sobs as Kyra's emotions opened like a floodgate, for the first time since it had happened, she cried openly and freely. Merlin moved to comfort her but she held up a hand as she sobbed, her breath heaving. After a few minutes, Kyra stood, her throat bruised and raw from crying, she wiped her face and stared down at Lancelot calmly, his dark eyes stared lifelessly back up at the sky. Where once Kyra had felt fear and revulsion for his face, a hollow feeling now resided as if she were staring at a stranger. She picked up her bow and looked at Merlin before nodding and turning to walk away from him. He picked up his sword numbly and followed her in a daze as she stared straight ahead moving quickly, running down the steps into the citadel.