ch. 12 hugs, hugs and more hugs

Kayla's eyes fluttered open as light streamed into the room directly onto her face. She groaned, flipping on to her side and rubbed at her eyes. Damn room and it's good lighting...

She sat up slowly, putting her hair up in a bun to get it out of her face. As she did, she noticed Iris curled up in the fetal position, holding Snuggles to her chest. Kayla smiled, pulling the blanket back over her friend. After doing so, she stood and stretched out her limbs with a long yawn. She could hear muffled voices downstairs, only assuming it was from the TV after she heard a male's voice.

About half an hour had passed and Iris was still passed out in bed. Kayla spent the time on her phone, patiently awaiting Iris to awaken. She had even called Adam and was talking to him about his night and their plans for later on. Kayla expected Iris to wake up around then, especially cause Adam had yelled at Ross about something before she could get her earbuds connected.

But nope. Iris was knocked out. It only made Kayla wonder how long it's been since Iris had a decent night sleep.

There was a light knock on the door. Kayla stood from the window seat and cracked the door open a jar.

"Sorry, Iris is still–" She gasped and nearly fell back at the sight of who was at the door, "Oliver?"

Oliver stood in the doorway, putting a finger up to his lips to remind Kayla to keep her voice down. "Yes, I get it. Shocking, I know. Just don't wake her." He spoke quickly in whisper, peeking over her shoulder at Iris' peaceful figure. "She hasn't slept good in..well, since she got here."

Kayla looked back at Iris, then back at Oliver. "What the.." She scoffed in disbelief, stepping out of the bedroom and into the hallway with Oliver, quietly shutting the door behind her. "What is going on? Why are you here?"

"I just came to say breakfast is ready–"

"That's not what I meant." Kayla shook her head, "What are you doing here? Do you live here? How did Iris end up here?"

Oliver blinked. He debated on whether to tell her everything or just say "another time" and leave. He expected someone to find out but not so soon. And not like this. Finally, he sighed. Iris was already having a hard time, he couldn't make it worse for her.

"Yes, I live here. Welcome to our Sullivan plus Mitchell abode. Our parents knew each other in high school," He shifted on his feet. "As you know, Iris doesn't have other family so my mom is the closest person she could consider a guardian. And here we are." Oliver explained as briefly as possible.

Kayla took a step back, pondering over everything she learned. "I noticed you guys were acting weird, but I just thought maybe you guys were getting over your dumb feud."

Oliver made a face at that unbeknownst to Kayla. Feud? Dumb? Sure, they got into arguments but they didn't hate each other. He hoped.

"And no one else knows?" Kayla spoke up, snapping him from his thoughts.

"No, I didn't want anyone to know.." He trailed off, watching Kayla tilt her head with a confused look on her face.

"Why? I mean..I get it. It's no ones business. But not even me? Or the guys? We would understand." Kayla shrugged as she explained her thoughts.

"Um..it's complicated." Oliver shook his head.

There was nothing complicated about it. He knew exactly why he didn't want anyone to know. And he hated how selfish he was being. Though, to be fair, Oliver figured Iris didn't want that kind of attention anyway. He was looking out for both of them, or so he thought at least.

"Honestly, this makes me feel a lot better." Kayla smiled warmly, looking back up at Oliver. "I was afraid she'd be struggling a lot in a new place but she has you, Oliver. Keep me updated on how she is. She tends to keep her feelings to herself, but if anything happens, promise me you'll let me know." She said, eyes full of hope.