two. a bad feeling

Iris stirred slowly, hearing the familiar sound of her alarm going off. She groaned softly, knowing what that meant. Time to wake up and smell the vape from the school bathrooms.

Across the room was her full body-length mirror that stood propped against the wall where she saw her reflection. Last night she had put her hair into two french braids, hoping to wake up with natural waves. Though she must've moved around too much.

One of her hair ties had completely slipped out but surprisingly, the braid stayed in. Strands of hair stuck out of either braid while the whole top of her head of hair looked lumpy.

Iris groaned once again, slipping out from under her covers and getting out of bed. After a quick stretch, she began to get ready for the day; picking out an outfit, taming her messy hair, and fixing her bed while humming soft tunes to herself to keep her mind distracted.

Iris looked over her somewhat comfortable outfit, consisting of a flannel and a thick tank top paired with some jeans, and nodded to herself in the mirror. She tried patting her hair down as much as possible but decided pulling it into a ponytail would just be simpler.

With that, she grabbed her phone and her packed book bag and headed downstairs into the kitchen. The house was silent, other than the creaking of the floorboards as Iris walked by, which meant her father wasn't home.

Which he never really was by this time. He left early, came back before school ended. Iris preferred those hours though because if not, they wouldn't have time to have movie nights or game night like they do.

She smiled fondly at the memories of the last game night from a few days ago. Kayla and the twins came over like they normally do. The twins decided to play evil and team up with Iris' dad against the teens. Let's just say, Iris and Kayla never wanna talk about how poorly they lost.

Iris continued on her morning routine and popped some waffles in the toaster for some breakfast. There was nothing wrong with a good meal in the morning.

She'd be grumpy without one.

•••

    "Alright Iris, the bell is gonna ring soon. I'll see you at lunch." Kayla said with a smile as the two are about to part ways.

Iris is about to walk off when Kayla grabs her wrist before she could, startling the girl slightly as she faced her friend confused.

"And please, behave." Kayla added with a stern look.

Iris rolled her eyes, "Of course I will. He's the one who bothers me anyway. If he doesn't annoy me, then there'll be no problems." She shrugged, already understanding who Kayla was referring to.

It's not like she really hated Oliver. But it's not like she liked him either. She just didn't understand why he acted the way he did. He definitely got on her bad side sometimes which resulted in arguments. When Oliver showed attitude, Iris wasn't afraid to give it back.

Besides, it was more like witty banter. They never really meant what they said. At least, she didn't. She hoped he didn't either.

Kayla shook her head and sighed, "You guys are unbelievable. One day you're going to be good friends, believe me on that. Your heads are both so far stuck up your butt, you'll get along perfect." Kayla patted her friend's shoulder before she walked off.

"What's that supposed to mean.." Iris muttered to herself, slightly offended. She shrugged it off and spun around only to be face to face with the person she least expected to be there.

"I think it means we're blind to the truth of the situation or something like that." Oliver answered the question Iris thought no one else had heard.