fourteen. brave through it

Halloween.

Christopher Mitchell's favorite holiday.

He had always told Iris it was cause her mother and him used to always win 'Best Couples Costume'. They both loved it. It was their holiday. And when Iris was born, it became their family holiday. Which is why she didn't know if she could celebrate without them.

Her dad liked to pick the costumes. When Iris wasn't around, they won a contest as Morticia and Gomez Addams. After Iris was old enough and her mother was gone, Christopher and Iris went as Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy. Another time they did the Grinch and Cindy-Lou Who. Then when Kayla joined them freshman year on Halloween, Christopher was Willy Wonka and the girls were Oompa Loompa's.

Iris shudders at the memory of the bright orange residue of paint in the bathtub. The orange tan tinted hers and Kayla's skin for a week afterwards. She still laughs every time she thinks about it.

Though, Iris soon learned that her parents were not the only Halloween crazy ones. Lucas picked out their group costume in August, a month after they all became really close.

Technically, they all knew each other freshman year. Oliver and Iris had their history. Kayla and Iris were friends long before. The boys had also known each other from previous years. They each met each other through different classes. Mutual friends through mutual friends. But it wasn't till Kayla and Adam started dating that they all started talking more and hanging out.

Iris' phone began to ring, illuminating Kayla's contact on the screen. She was probably asking about the plans today.

Iris cleared her throat, "Hey."

"Yo, is it cool if I come to pick Ruby up in a few?" Kayla asked.

Iris blinked. "Huh? Ruby?"

"Oh," Kayla hummed, "I guess Oliver didn't mention it to you. The twins and Ruby go to the same school together, they're good friends. They planned a trio costume. I thought it'd be cool if you and I brought them trick-or-treating." She explained, shuffling around.

"Oh." Iris processed that information for a moment, glancing around the room as she did. "Well, yeah I think it's okay. Ruby started getting ready a little bit ago." Iris paused, "Um.. are you dressed too?" She asked, glancing over at the blue and red costume that was sprawled out on her bed.

"I am, but if you're not ready to do this—"

"I'm not.." She sighed softly, "But my dad never missed a Halloween when mom passed, so I won't miss any for them."

"They would definitely want you to enjoy it like they did." Iris could hear the small smile in Kayla's voice, "But take it easy if you're still not sure."

Iris nodded even though Kayla couldn't see. "Let me know when you're here, I'll make sure Ruby is ready."

Once the two said their goodbyes and the call ended, Iris went off to Ruby's room and watched as Sasha did the girl's hair in two high space buns. She confirmed with Sasha the plan Kayla had made with Oliver and made sure Sasha was okay with it.

Ruby was ecstatic, jumping around so much that Sasha had to redo half of her hair. "I'm sorry, I'm just so excited! Iris, when are you getting ready?"Ruby asked with a grin, looking up at the teen.

Sasha winced a little at that, settling Ruby back down in her chair. She cleared her throat before she spoke up, "Actually sweetie, Iris may not—"

"Um.. I am going to start getting ready now. I just felt a little sick and was giving myself time to get over it.. but I'm fine now. I think going out will help really. It'll definitely mean a lot to.. um, my parents." She whispered the last part as Sasha gave her a soft smile.