fifteen. therapy date

"I need your help."

"No."

"That's fair."

Iris was on her way to lunch when she was stopped outside the cafeteria doors by Addison. Usually that meant Iris should prepare for the worst, and though no actual torment began, Iris had no idea what this could be about. Help for what? Why her?

"Look," Addison sighed, "You have every right to slap me and walk away. But I really need help." She muttered, looking down at her shoes. She felt too ashamed to even meet her eyes, after everything in the past.

Iris pursed her lips, partly mad with herself for even considering it. "I don't know Addison.. I appreciate you standing up for Lucas that time–"

"Don't. That wasn't just for Lucas. They were dissing me too, in a way." Addison quieted down and rubbed her arm sheepishly, realizing how she had raised her voice a little.

"Right.." Iris glanced her up and down, remembering that particular day in the lunch room and her wink. "It was really brave of you to do that. And if anyone else doesn't, just know that my friends and I support you."

"I know," She smiled lopsidedly, "Other than Chad and a few other closeted, you guys are really the only ones that care."

Iris almost forgot Chad was in the picture. She barely saw the two together now that she thought about it. The rumors about them being a fake couple were beginning to sound more true. Not that she liked to believe rumors but it was starting to make sense.

"Look, I just don't know.. I'm sorry." Iris frowned and spun on her heel, ready to rush into the cafeteria. She felt bad, really. But this was something she might need to think about considering the past four years of back and forth bickering.

"I'm sorry about your dad."

It happened too fast for Addison to comprehend. One second, she was watching the shorter girl turn to leave. All she did was blink, then that same shorter girl had shoved her back up against the wall. Addison's eyes widened as a small gasp left her lips, looking down at Iris who glared up at her.

"Who told you that?" Tears brimmed at her eyes.

"I– Um, my dad is close with the principal. He heard about it and mentioned it to me... I didn't say anything cause we're not really close but I.. I'm here if you need me, Iris." Addison spoke quickly, her pitch heightened ever so slightly by the sudden change in atmosphere. 

Iris backed up slowly, calming herself down with deep breaths. She stammered out an apology, covering her face with her hands and wiping at the burning sensation in her eyes. She didn't mean to push her. It was just a rush of emotions all at once and before she knew it, she had shoved Addison out of fear and frustration.

"What's going on here?"

Both girls quickly turned to see Oliver and Ross staring at the situation. They glanced around at the scene, trying to figure out what went down. Iris looked down ashamed, wiping at her eyes. Addison glanced at Iris then back at the boys, then she stepped away from the wall and in front of Iris so the boys wouldn't see her crying.

"Girl talk." She shrugged, "What are you two doing here?"

"Lunch."

"Oliver has an 'Iris in danger' alert in his mind."

"Shut up Ross.."

Oliver peeked over Addison's shoulder, noticed Iris' flushed face as she wiped her eyes. Something definitely happened, he just knew it. He cleared his throat, ready to speak up.