seven. promise

Today.

It's today.

Iris wiped at her eyes quickly, knowing she'd have to be downstairs soon to leave. She took one last look in the mirror, finding her eyes puffy and red. With a soft sigh, she exited her bedroom and quickly shuffled into the bathroom next door, passing someone on her way in.

She didn't think to look back. In fact, she wasn't thinking at all.

She closed the door shut behind her quickly, flicking the light switch on as she faced her reflection once more. Puffy, red eyes. Still the same sad, drained expression.

Iris walked up to the sink, not meeting her own eyes in the mirror again as she ran the warm water. She cupped her hands underneath, filling them with water that she splashed onto her face. She did this a few times, trying to make it less obvious that she was crying. Though soon, it wouldn't even matter.

There was a knock on the bathroom door, almost causing Iris to jump. She faced it and opened the door slowly, peeking her head out.

"We're..gonna be leaving soon.." Oliver said softly from the other side, looking anywhere but her face. He had his hands stuffed in his pockets, fidgeting nervously.

"Oh..give me a minute." Iris responded in the same soft tone. She only spoke softly so Oliver wouldn't hear how hoarse her throat was.

Oliver only nodded before walking off, then down the stairs to where Iris assumed everyone was waiting. She sighed softly, flicking the light off and stepping out of the bathroom.

Iris walked down the stairs slowly, hoping this was still possibly a nightmare she'd wake up from. She knew it was wrong to think that. She knew this was reality. Iris just didn't want to believe it.

Once she was downstairs, she entered the living room where she found everyone waiting. Sasha was wiping her eyes as she sat on the corner of the couch, being comforted by Ruby who was holding her hand and leaning her head onto Sasha's shoulder. Oliver was leaning against the wall, staring at the floor but looked up when Iris entered the room.

Sasha stood and wiped her eyes once more. "If everyone is ready, we can get going.." She spoke quietly. When no one interjected, she headed out the front door and towards her car with Oliver followed after her.

Iris trudged her way to the door, staring down at the floor. A blur of a small figure rushed towards Iris, wrapping around her waist. She looked down, finding Ruby hugging her tightly.

She bent down to Ruby's height, letting the young girl embrace her. Iris wrapped her arms around her tiny figure, returning the same comforting gesture.

"Thank you, Ruby.." Iris whispered, loud enough for her to hear as they were close enough. She pulled away seconds later, looking into Ruby's green eyes with her tear-filled ones.

"I'm here for you when you need me." Ruby smiled warmly, squeezing Iris once more before the two made their way outside and to Sasha's car, locking the front door behind them.

•••

Iris was already sobbing quietly as soon as the priest began speaking. She couldn't help it. She didn't expect to make it long without crying anyway. How could she? This was the worst she's ever felt.