The Hunted Part 3

There was a growl, deep like the rumble of a volcano, somewhere in the darkness. There was definitely something more dangerous than usual in here, thought Angela as she stomach knotted up and her heart beat in her ears. She had to warn the others...and get to Ari before this thing did. Her hands twisted in strange gestures, she bit her lip and spat some bloody spittle on the ground with a short incantation. The leaves and twigs in the area around her shifted and gathered up quickly into several lumps. Out of these some skeletal looking animal constructs emerged and took off into the woods to carry a message of warning to the others.

Meanwhile, the high witch of Castle House Coven, reached up and used the blood from her bit lip to also draw marks beside her eyes. The darkness paled around her as she initiated the spell to give her better night vision. She turned in place and held her hands up ready to summon more magic, there was another flicker of motion to her right in the trees but all she saw as she whipped around was a tail disappearing through bushes. The growl came again, low and deep enough that it could nearly be felt in her bones instead of the air.

Well one way to keep the others safe was to keep this thing chasing her... maybe she could draw it out and kill it. The best place would be at the edge of the river, she thought to herself as she turned and took off that way. There was a few seconds lag, as if this monster was giving her a head start to just to be fair! Then something massive gave up on stealth and lunged forward through branches and leaves. A glance back showed a light furred shape the size of a large motorcycle beginning to chase. It's yes glinted in the mottled moon light and it's teeth glowed like marble as it snarled in pleased pursuit.

The big river was pretty far, though under the canopy and off the maps were a few smaller ones that crisscrossed the mystical woods. Ange grabbed up a handful of leaves off a low branch as she passed it and breathed into them, tossing them out over her shoulder in a cloud of dark fluttering chaff. In the scattered leaves a handful of duplicates of herself appeared then took off at odd angles meant to confuse the huge wolf about who to follow. They all headed for a small water fall area but hopefully they would throw him off long enough for her to make it there alive. She worked her legs, short as they were despite looking so long on her, as hard as she could to make it into the water. She could drown it if she made it there.

Ange wove through the trees and ran up and over large rocks strewn in the path to try and delay her capture and after a few seconds looked back again to see if her efforts had paid off. The wasn't there! He had to have taken the bait! The shadowy duplicates would still lead him to the water and his death... but she couldn't rest here. She had to get there too if she was going to stop him, but a moment to catch her breath was also needed after that sprint. She paused, hands on knees and panting to lean her back against a tree trunk and gather herself again.

 She paused, hands on knees and panting to lean her back against a tree trunk and gather herself again

That was when through the adrenaline haze she felt something trickle down her thigh. I look down and twist in the silvery night revealed that somewhere along the line she had ben scratched. A long welt across her thigh dribbled a few drops of blood. The pain had not caught up to her yet though, that was still lost in the rush of fleeing that wolf.  Further inspection showed she had another couple small ones on her arms and bare midriff. She had wanted that man chasing her like this not some beast, not that she wouldn't have enjoyed him being a bit of one...okay a lot of one... whoa girl. No time to be getting herself all wet thinking about that when she still had to make it out of this alive! 

Her breathing evened out finally and she pushed off from the tree to start running again, just as something swung round the big tree trunk to her left...and reared up onto it's hindlegs! The world fell away as her feet left the ground and then the air left her lungs when her back collided with the tree.  Inches from her face was a muzzle full of sharp teeth and eyes that bored into her. She turned her face away instinctively to protect it and tried to kick the thing away.  And it was a thing, not a wolf at all. She had been so wrong...so very wrong...kicking it and punching the fucking werewolf did about as much good as smacking the tree would have. 

"Fucking let me go! I will kill you! The Coven will hunt you down! AAARGH!"

Angela threatened it and twisted in it's grip, hands the size of dinner plates holding her nearly two feet off the ground and tipped with claws kept her firmly in place. It smiled, and that dark throaty rumble came out of its chest again. 

And then it spoke ...in Ari's gravelly voice.