[ 024 ] the thing he loves most

━━━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━━━

━━━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━━━

    IT WAS DARK by the time they made it back into town, pursuing what everyone now knew to be Peter. Kaelyn had largely remained quiet in the back of the car, as they stepped out and began to head towards the vault through the cemetery.

    "Regina's still not answering," Emma said, frantically.

    Beside her, Henry turned to Rumple. "When we find Pan, remember he's still in my body. So if you have to throw a fireball or something, at least avoid the face."

    Rumple sighed. "I'll do my best." He sounded as unnerved by the body switch as Kaelyn felt.

    As they approached the vault, Kaelyn could make out the shapes of Hook, Neal and Tinkerbell waiting for them at the vault door.

    "Is it really you?" Neal called out

    "Dad!" Henry ran forward and they hugged, as everyone else gathered.

    "Well, this must be horribly weird for you," Neal said as he pulled away from Henry, looking down at Kaelyn.

    "Worse than you can imagine," she said, tightly.

    "Did you find the Shadow?" David asked.

    "Not yet," Tinkerbell said.

    "Well, we'll be ready for him when we do," Hook added, lightly, holding up the coconut halves.

    "It's Pan we should be concerned about now," Rumple reasoned. "Why are we still up here?

    "It's locked up tight," Neal explained, pointing to the vault door.

    "Really?" Rumple said, smugly. He raised a hand to the door, but a few seconds later pulled back. Kaelyn tilted her head at the result.

    "Told you," Neal murmured.

    "Fair enough. This is going to take some time," Rumple announced, stepping forward. He held out a shaking hand to the door, as Emma departed. Kaelyn watched her go, ignoring the way Henry looked at her with Peter's green eyes. "Help me," Rumple said.

    Kaelyn turned to him, lips already turned into a sneer, but she knew she had to help. She had to find out Peter's plan and do something to reverse the body switch– even just for her own sanity.

    "God, what have I become," Kaelyn relented as she stepped up and began to work her own magic on the door which was, admittedly, locked tight.

    "I know that you knew," Rumple murmured after a few moments, quiet enough that only she could hear.

    "You know me better than any of them, but they won't believe you," Kaelyn shot back, not even looking at him. He gave her a dull glance, trying to discern if she was bluffing or not, just as the door swung open inwards.