[ 018 ] building tension

━━━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━━━

━━━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━━━

    IT HURT WHEN Kaelyn woke up. It always did after she manipulated her soul. And she supposed she hadn't altered it in so many years, either. Taking on Neverland's energy was definitely up there with the top ten stupidest things the immortal teenager had ever done in her very long life, but she told herself it had been for the right reasons.

    As consciousness returned to her and pain began to replace the numbness in her body, she was hit with a swell of panic. Henry. The brunette forced herself awake, moving before she had registered where she was, wincing as she hit her head on something. Blinking rapidly, the world came into focus, and Kaelyn realised she was against a tree, under a haphazardly-made shelter.

    "Have you calmed down now?"

    Kaelyn looked to her side from where she was sitting, seeing Peter crouched there, the canopy casting intricate shadows on his face. Kaelyn just blinked at him, refusing to answer. It was quiet outside, which told her she wasn't in the camp or anywhere nearby, and had been teleported away.

    Peter shuffled closer to her, Kaelyn watching his every move. In his lap was a wooden bowl filled with water and a pale cloth. The brunette watched, quietly, as he wet the cloth and reached towards her face. Instinctively, her hand snapped out to grab his wrist, albeit weakly, inches from her face.

    "At least let me clean you up," Peter sighed.

    And Kaelyn let him, releasing his hand, as he silently and gently rubbed the cloth against her chin where blood had dripped and dried. She watched his eyes the entire time, never leaving her face as he worked. He looked so focused, so intent, and not once met her eyes.

    In that moment she could almost pretend as if nothing had happened, that it was a regular interaction and his intentions were completely pure. Kaelyn resisted the urge to tremble as he reached her lips, gently wiping at the blood that had collected around them from her nose.

    "Where's Henry?" Kaelyn finally asked, throat dry.

    "All part of the plan," Peter responded, eyes finally flicking to hers. Kaelyn nodded slightly, as the boy continued to clean her face. After a few minutes, he was done, the cloth and water rusty with her blood, which he set aside. "How're you feeling?" he asked when she remained quiet.

    "Dead," she replied, bluntly.

    "It was a good effort," he commended her. Kaelyn just shook her head. "I took care of your ribs, as well." Kaelyn had wondered why she hadn't felt the cracked bones when she woke. "I already chewed Felix out for it, he's very sorry."

    "What're you going to do, Peter?" Kaelyn asked, abruptly.

    He paused, before saying, "I can't control you, I can't fight you and I can't hurt you."