[ 017 ] the place where time stood still

━━━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━━━

━━━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━━━

THE MONEY DID NOT trickle back in, and after a few months, the trio continued to struggle. Desperation had left them making hasty choices, choosing bad targets, where they were rewarded with little, or nothing at all. They had lost their credibility on the streets, and even so, they had barely any expensive items to sell.

This was largely due to the fact that Malcolm had been revoked of decision-making, effective immediately since the sun had risen the day after. Rumple had initiated it, and despite their new feelings, Kaelyn hadn't had the heart to really stand up for him. She had expected it to pass, to be something Rumple was deciding in the moment, and would get over once he cooled down.

He, in fact, did not calm down, and continued to horribly lead the group, while Malcolm either sulked to the side or haplessly played along, as he was cut off at any place he tried to make a suggestion. Kaelyn herself had never been the brains or strategist, and didn't dare risk taking over and dooming them further.

Because that was, truthfully, where they were heading. They couldn't gain traction again, struggling to get a grip in the world they had made for themselves. Where they had once slept in separate rooms at the better hotels in town, they now shared one-bedroom rooms, with two of them sleeping on the floor. Where they had once been wealthy and collectors, they had sold many of their possessions.

Kaelyn was close to turning nineteen, and both boys had already had their birthdays in quiet passing. Nothing had been done to celebrate, except maybe some extra kisses for Malcolm from Kaelyn, otherwise they simply couldn't afford the celebrations.

None of them really spoke about it, as if acknowledging it would make it real. Even if Rumple had begun to lead, it was clear Malcolm was in no state to continue anyway. He had remained shaken since that night, and the gleam in his eye had dulled significantly, faith in himself to carry out important tasks waning.

The main difference between the pair's leading and ideas, was that Kaelyn's magic played a much bigger role in Rumple's plans. If anything, it was mainly him telling her what to do, and her magic was what they relied on to survive. She didn't like it, but she knew they were too shaken at the moment to rely on anything else. She kept telling herself the rough patch would pass, it had only been a month or two since they had lost everything realistically, and she wouldn't have to constantly use her power so often after that.

Kaelyn seemed to be the only person so okay with the future. Rumple, despite his continued frustration and leadership, was incredibly unmotivating, and was clearly just trying to stay afloat. He hadn't really gotten over Malcolm's mistake yet, and any conversation between the pair was cold or short. Malcolm didn't really talk about it, not even with Kaelyn, but she could tell it stung him to know the friendship was so cold now.

The brunette had begun to be the mediator between the pair, holding them together desperately, refusing to let anyone leave her again. She stuck by her words to Malcolm that night. But, truthfully, if things didn't change soon, Kaelyn feared for them. The security and family she had built over the years was at risk.