Chapter Four

Emma had barely woken up, when she heard Nathan and her sister talking in the living room, on Monday morning. She smiled pushing the comforters back as she got up.

She listened behind the closed door.

"You have to leave. You and my sister will see each other at school."
"Yeah, I'm sorry for showing up so early. I should have been more considerate. Tell her that I'll be waiting on the corner for her,"
"The usual spot then. I'll tell her," Colleen said, opening the door for him.

A few seconds later she was in the tiny bedroom that she and her younger sister shared. Emma greeted her.

"I'm sure that you've heard what Nathan said, get ready for school. I don't want him helping you to get dressed. People can't talk about you as well," Colleen said before picking up her deodorant spray.
"What are people saying?" A curious Emma asked.
"That is none of your business," Colleen said, "Arg! My deodorant is finished. May I borrow some of yours?"
"Mine is finished as well, use some of Mommy's. I am sure that she won't mind."

Colleen sighed as she went to the small room next to theirs, she hoped that her mother would have enough money for their toiletries on Friday, but in the meantime all of them would have to use the same spray. She would have to use just a little, who knew how long it would have to last. She was about to leave the bedroom when something caught her eye.

"Did you find the spray?" Emmerentia asked walking into the room.
"Er, yes let's go," she pushed Emma out of the room. "I'll clean mommy's room today and you do ours, okay?"
"Okay, I'll do the rest of the house too," Emma said.
"We'll see," Colleen said, closing the door behind her.

Colleen waited for Emma to shower before locking her mother's room.

"Emma, come and lock the door, I'm leaving," Colleen called out ten minutes later.

Emmerentia did as her sister said.

Colleen checked to see that her blazer was clean and placed a beanie on her head, before walking out of the gate. She was surprised to see Nathan standing on the corner, it was still to seven and she thought that he would've stayed at home untill it was time to leave for school. All the colour had been drained from his face, his pink lips had turned to a shade of purple, even his fingers were purple.

"Nathan go home before you catch the flu. It's too cold to be on the corner," She told him.
"No, Colleen, I'll wait here for Emma. I don't want her to walk alone. Besides, it's not too cold," Nathan protested.
"You look like a ghost and you're telling me that it's not too cold, but whatever," Colleen said and walked past him.

Half an hour later the freezing Nathan went to the tuckshop - it was just three houses away from Emma's home - he was planning on surprising her with delicious butter chicken, for lunch.

He had just paid for the food when he spotted Emma closing their gate. He hurriedly placed the goods in his backpack, luckily Emma was in her own world, and had not noticed him.

Emma was busy greeting the auntie next door, when she spotted Nathan. She gave him her warmest smile, but he had a frown on his face. Whatever was the matter, Emma was happy to see him.

Nathan waited untill Emma was in front of him before talking, "Why are your legs bare?"
"My black pantyhose leathered," she said, trying to act like it was not a big deal.
"Then wear one in another colour," Nathan said.
"And get expelled? No, thanks, Nathan. Anyway, it's not too cold."
"There's snow on the mountains and you say it's not 'too cold'. Just wear another pair, and I'll explain it to the principal."

Emma gave him a "duh" look.

"I'll make her understand," Nathan insisted.
"Let's just drop this subject," Emma said, "Your lunch smells devine."
"I hope it taste so too," Nathan replied, but inside he was worried sick about Emmerentia freezing.