Chapter Nineteen

It was a couple of weeks later on a Friday afternoon and Emma had just clocked out when Ruth called out to her.

"Emma! Before you go," Ruth handed a bouquet of royal purple petunias to her.
"What is this?" Emma frowned, smelling the blooms. "A happy client?"
"I don't know. The courier was looking for you, but you were busy, so I signed for it," Ruth wiggled her brows. "Maybe it's a secret admirer."

Emma took out the card, but there was no name. She read the message aloud. 
'To the talented, Emmerentia .
I know that this won't make up for my behaviour, yet I still hope for your forgiveness.'

"Who misbehaved with you?" Ruth asked.
Emma also wondered. "I don't know, but you know many of the clients are bossy. It is their right, I presume. It must be one of them."
"Or maybe it's another guy you rejected."
"It's not my fault that I'm not attracted to them and it's not their fault either," Emma's eyes got almost as round as saucers. "I hope it's not a stalker!"
"Oh come on, be positive, Emma. It could be your future husband," Ruth smiled.
"No," Emma shook her head. "That ship has sailed."
"You're far too young to be that cynical, Emma. There's someone out there for everyone."
Emma swallowed down her tears, walking to the exit. "Yeah...no, I don't believe in fairytales. Good evening."

Ruth wondered what had gotten into the once optimistic young woman. It didn't seem like the same woman who had devoured romance novels in one day and didn't date because she saved herself for someone special. Ruth knew that something happened to Emma and she wanted to know what.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Emma was about to open the gate to Alexei's house when she heard someone calling out to her. She looked around and saw a sight that turned her stomach.

"April," she muttered as April and Joel were headed her way.

April was almost out of breath, "Fancy seeing you here. Joel and I had gone for a walk."

"Hi," Joel smiled. "Great to see ya. Beautiful blooms you've got there."

"What are you guys doing here?" Emma could not remember telling Ruth about her house sitting job or even where it was.

"Oh, you're hurting my feelings," April pouted.  "I thought that you'd be happy to see us."

"It... it's not that. I'm just surprised. I thought that you'd be back next week," Emma stuttered. "And Joel, I got these flowers at work."

"They are stunning, but what I want to know is if you are happy to see us?" April continued. "We were planning to see you next week, but we've arrived on Wednesday.

"Are you visiting a client?" Joel asked.

"She might be house hunting," April smirked.

"I wish," Emma said. "I'm here for work."

"Ah, I was right," Joel quipped. "Hopefully, you'll join us later for a drink, huh?"

"Uh, I don't know. Where are you staying?"

April pointed to the house right of Emma, right next to Alexei's. "We're hiring this place until the wedding."

"Really?" Emma couldn't believe her rotten luck. She would have to see that misserable Nathan until the wedding. Surely that was too much suffering for one person to handle.

"Like Joel said, come over after you're done and we'll give you a tour of the house and something to drink," April offered.

Emma wondered how she'd get out of that situation. April was a very persistent person.