Chapter Sixteen

"I'm coming, Mrs. Baron," Emma replied, walking to the door.

Emma looked down at the white oversized t-shirt that she wore as a nightie and her big, coily hair and thought nothing of it, it was just her landlord, right? The woman had seen her looking like that before.

"I'm sorry f-" Emma's words got swallowed whole as she looked into Nathan's eyes, unfortunately his gaze did not stop at her eyes, "What the hell!"

"I'm sorry, I'll wait in my car," Nathan blushed, he turned around to leave.
"No. Emma, it's rude to keep your guests waiting," Mrs. Baron said. "I'll make him some coffee whilst you get ready."
Emma had already put on a  fluffy white bathrobe by then. "No, he can come in."
Nathan turned around. "Are you sure?"
Emma glared at him. "I'm sure."

Mrs. Baron left, giving Nathan a sweet smile. Emma had only seen her that friendly on the day that she moved in. Clearly something was going on in her head.

Nathan stepped into Emma's tiny one room place. Even the toilet and shower were out in the open.

"You can close your mouth now, Doctor Adams," Emma said, reaching out her left hand, "My medication."
"Your medication?" Nathan lifted a brow.
"Yes, why else would you be here. I must've forgotten something at the hospital, and you came all the way here to deliver it, right?" Emma scowled.
"No, actual-"
Emma cut him off, "Then you can leave. We have nothing to say to each other. As you can see, I'm late for work."

Nathan stared at Emma for a few seconds, his words stuck in his throat. It was obvious that talking was not going to work, so he left feeling defeated.

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

Emma speed walked to the dressing room, not even sparing a glance at the patrons in the packed Café. She returned minutes later, fidgeting with her apron. She didn't notice the hard torso that she bumped into on her way to clock in. She fell backwards, but the man grabbed her around her waist.

"I...I...I'm so sorry,Mr. Popov."
"It's my fault, I should have waited untill you were done."

Emma cleared her throat and Alexei got the hint, he released her, his gaze still on the floor.

"Can I help you with some-" Emma stopped talking when she saw Ruth and Nathan speaking. Nathan's eyes were on her like an eagle.
"Emmerentia?" Alexei followed her gaze.
"What is this man doing here?" Emma hissed, she had momentarily forgotten about Alexei.
"My guess is to eat," Alexei commented. "Is that man bothering you?"
Emma tore her gaze away from Nathan's. "Er...no, Mr. Popov. I'm just surprised to see him."
"Come to the bar after work," Alexei said in a low voice.
"Yes, Mr. Popov," a nervous Emma answered.

Ruth signalled for Emma to join her and Nathan, but Emma clocked in first. She took a couple of deep breaths, before turning around, joining Ruth and Nathan.

"I thought that something happened to you, Emma," Ruth said, a concerned look on her face.
Emma ignored her question," What is Doctor Nathan doing here?"
"He came to deliver good news, but I'll let him tell you," Ruth got up from her seat. "You two can continue talking, I'll be in the kitchen."

Emma wished that Ruth hadn't left, but she looked straight into Nathan's eyes and put on her sweetest smile. Nathan lifted a brow.

"Hello, Mr. Adams. How may I be of assistance?"
"I'll get straight to the point: I've decided to go with Extravaganza Desserts for my upcoming nuptials. I've given your contact details to April."
"What? I mean, what made you change your mind?"

Poor Emma was conflicted, this was a very big contract and the business needed it, but she feared that this wedding might just be too much for her to handle emotionally.

"I haven't changed my mind, I promised April that she could get whatever she wanted for the wedding," Nathan replied, he watched as Emma turned her focus on her fingers. "It was unfair of me to change my mind."
"Of cause," Emma responded, getting up from the table. "I'll wait for your bride to get in touch. Excuse me, Doctor Adams."

Nathan stared after Emma's retreating form. He thought that she would be happy, but she looked nothing like it. In fact, she had looked close to tears. She was the last person he wanted at his wedding, yet he could not let all those people become jobless.

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

Emma walked as fast as she could to Popov's. She did not want to keep Alexei waiting, despite the fact that she was no longer working for him. She spotted him standing outside the pub, his eyes seemed to light up when he saw her.

Alexei watched as Emma walked towards him. She looked very cute in her white sleeveless, v-neck jumpsuit.

"Mr. Popov," she greeted.
"Come with me," Alexei said, walking ahead of her and away from his business.

Several minutes later they were standing in a parking lot, next to Alexei's car.

"Are we going somewhere, Mr. Popov?"
"Yes, to your new job."