Chapter Nine

Emma wondered what she had done to deserve such a horrible day, but there was no time to mope about.

"Good evening, and welcome to Popov's. I'm your waitress for the evening. My name is Emmerentia."

"I want a different waitress."

"Don't be ridiculous, Sylvia," Reggie said.
"Don't tell me what to do. I do not want your whorish ex's daughter serving us."

Emma flinched at the insult about her mother. She closed her eyes for a second, trying to compose herself. She had forgotten to smile.

"Let's just order our drinks," Reggie Malgas said to his girlfriend.

Emma placed the menu in front of them, plastering on a smile. She turned on her heel, but Sylvia told her to stop. Reluctantly, she waited, watching as Sylvia scanned the drinks section. She had no idea why they were there, the place was way above their budget.

"This place is so overpriced. We can only order one drink, if we want to eat as well," Sylvia mumbled.
"Why are we here then. We could have gone to any tavern in our neighbourhood," Reggie replied.
"I think we can ask for a discount," Sylvia said."Hey, I want a discount."
"Ma'am, I'll give you time to go through the menu. I'll be back later."

Emma walked off to one of her other tables. Unfortunately, she heard her father's girlfriend calling her a bitch. She shrugged off the urge to rip the woman's hair out of her sculp.

Several minutes later Emma was back at the table of horrors, but luckily Sylvia ordered the same steak dish for both Reggie and herself. Emma was surprised to see her acting somewhat civil. Ten minutes passed before she handed their food to them.

"I want to see a manager," Sylvia said, "I won't pay without getting a discount."

Emma groaned internally, she had hoped that Sylvia had dropped the stupid idea. What could she do? She doubted that Alexei would be happy to be disturbed for such nonsense, however, she knew Sylvia all too well. The woman lived of drama and embarrassing the Malgas women.

Emma had forgotten to smile, but who could blame her? She promised to return and served her other customers.

She was in the kitchen waiting to collect an order when another waitress joined her and started talking.

"Girlfriend, I am so glad that Alexei gave that table to you. Only a saint can handle that situation," Charmaine remarked.
"What are you talking about?" Emma acted calm, but her stomach was in knots. She had hoped that no-one noticed Sylvia's antics.
"Don't act dumb. That man and woman are so common ( uncouthed ), I pity their children. They probably won't have enough money to settle their account with."
Emma tried to act nonchalant, "I'm only here to serve them, if they don't want to pay they'll have to deal with Alexei."

Emma was glad when she received the food. She did not want to talk about her father and Sylvia.

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

It was nearing the end of the night and half of the patrons had left, when Emma came of the restroom. The commotion she heard made her want to return, her tummy was
churning that much. But, the sight that greeted her, had her holding onto the bar counter.

"I want a discount! I want a discount! I want a discount!" Sylvia shouted whilst standing on the table, stilettos and all. Not that her barefeet would have made a difference.

Emma rushed to the table.

"Mam, get off the table, please."
"You should shut up! You're the worst waitress ever. You are horrible! I want a refund. Bring your manager!" Sylvia demanded.
"Ma'am, we can talk after you get off from there. You'll get hurt," Emma begged.
"I am not your bloody ma'am," Sylvia spat.

Emma had no time to focus on the embarrassment she was feeling or think of an reply. Somehow through all the chaos she heard the door of Alexei's office open. She turned around nervously, licking her lips. Alexei stood in the doorway, his eyes asking her a question. He looked ready to kill.

"Yes, here comes the manager. Today, you will lose your job. You little slut," Sylvia taunted her.

In a flash Alexei was standing next to her, asking the same question with his cold grey eyes. She was frozen to the spot, she could not tell him what the matter was.

His voice reverberated through her body, "Get. Off. My. Table. Now!"

Sylvia almost fell backwards of off the table with Reggie catching her by her upper right arm, in the nick of time.

"What's going on here, Emmerentia?" He asked audibly, his gaze piercing through her.
"They want a...a discount, Mr. Popov," Emma answered.
"You pay your bill and leave or you get arrested. The choice is yours," Alexei said, looking at a beetroot red Sylvia.

Emma sighed. You  could trust Alexei to bring about order.

"I will only leave after my refund," Sylvia countered.
"Right, you'll be spending the night in prison then."

Alexei got his smartphone out of his pants.

"I've found that waitress' hair in my food," Sylvia stated, "Is that the kind of reputation you want."

Alexei watched as Sylvia pulled a long, dark coily hair out of her food. His grip on his phone tightened.

Emma stared in shock at the long hair that resembled hers. When did it happen?

"Your place had such a good reputation, too bad about this hair. It will be the only thing that people will remember," Sylvia said. "Too bad that you chose that idiot over me. The little whore has you wrapped around her finger."

"Security!"

Two bouncers appeared within seconds.

"Take those two to the back. They will pay every Rand they owe me, or go to prison," Alexei threatened, sitting on a empty chair nearby. "Emmerentia, continue with your work."

"Emma, how could you do this to your own family? What kind of person are you? I'm ashamed to call you my daughter!"

Emma's mouth fell open, but she was not the only one shocked by Reggie's revelation. Once again, Alexei stared at her, but so did everyone else.

"Get them out, quickly!" Alexei commanded.

As if the night was not bad enough Emma looked right into those green eyes that she'd been trying to forget all day long.