Chapter Seven

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa.

Almost Sixteen Years Later.

Emmerentia rushed to get to work, being careful not to spill the cappuccino she had in her hand. Yes, she was almost late, but she just could not start her day without a caffeine fix. She wizzed through the crowd only slowing down now and again to take a sip of the hot beverage in her hand.

She smiled when she saw the bakery that she worked at, Extravaganza Desserts. It had been her place of employment for the past five years. She loved working there.

The big bay windows on either side of the double doors gave a good peek inside the cosy place. The interior was covered in gold wallpaper. The huge chandelier that greeted you upon entry was also covered in gold and silver. The plush velvet silver chairs were made for sitting, and the circular glass tables that could fit four people, had a gold runner on top. The place had that wealthy look about it, it made Emma feel like she could escape her life for a moment.

Emma walked through the revolving doors and headed for the staffroom at the back of the bakery. It was out of the public eyes, but first she gave a nod of the head to the receptionist and continued to sip her coffee.

Minutes later she was back, in her chef's whites with a hairnet covering her voluminous coils, a neat bun kept them from cascading down her back. The chefs coat covered her ribbed royal purple, knee-length, sleeveless, bodycon dress and a pair of white gumboots adorned her feet, instead of the white sneakers she had arrived in. She tucked her gold necklace with the dolphin into her  coat, before clocking in with her fingerprint. The clock was on the right side of the revolving doors.

"Emma!"

Emmerentia turned her gaze left spotting her employer sitting at a table with a couple.

She walked to them, hips swaying as she went. People thought that she walked like a model on purpose, but it was not so. Having ample curves was the cause, but she was not overweight, she was just thick. She followed a clean eating plan and attended a gym. She loved her curves, she just wished that she was not so short.

"Emma, you remember that big contract we spoke about yesterday," Ruth Goldstein, her employer, asked.
"Yes," Emma replied, "the Adams contact."
"This is the bride."
Emma smiled at the couple. "Hello."
"They're here to discuss the cake. I told them that you're the best at doing intricate designs. Actually, you're the best baker I've ever come across."

"Wow, so much praise. I hope you can deliver," the woman said. Emma stared at her for a second too long, but the Australian accent was to blame for that. It was not everyday that you saw a Griqua descendent with that accent.

"I'm sure she'll deliver," the man said, clearly checking Emma out, he looked like he was a Pacific islander, Tongan or Fijian.

"Oh, she will go above and beyond to make sure that you're satisfied," Ruth stated.

"I will do my very best," Emma replied, "Have you seen anything that you like in the brochure?"
"Yes, I like several designs. I've heard that your strawberry cake is devine. I love strawberries, so that one is a real contender for the main cake. Do people choose the strawberry cake for their weddings?" The ginger haired woman asked.
"The only thing that matters is what the bride and groom wants. I'll make whatever you desire, and it will be delicious," Emma replied.
"I can see that you will be a treat to work with," the woman said.
Emma looked at the man, "Your input will also be taken into consideration."
The man smiled. "I'm flattered, but I don't think that the groom will like that very much."
"Oh, I'm sorry, I thought that you two were an item," Emma admitted.
"No, my man had an important phone call to attend to, he'll be here shortly."
"Then, I'll quickly grab my laptop in my locker. We can draw up some new designs, but only if you like," Emma said.
"Yes, that's a brilliant idea. We can even come up with some interesting flavour combinations. I'm April, by the way and he is Joel," April said as Emma got up from the seat.
"I'm Emmerentia Malgas, but you can call me Emma."

Emma walked away from the table smiling, she liked April, and Joel seemed very nice too. She hoped that she would like the groom too. He had to be nice if he was with a sweetheart like her. Emma could tell that April was nice by just looking at her, the womam seemed to radiate light.

Emma walked down the long corridor, the staffroom was at the end of the passageway. It felt like someone was watching her, but she shook off the feeling. The restrooms were in the same corridor, so maybe it was a patron who made use of the facilities.

Three minutes later, she was on her way back to the café area, when an arm pulled her into the ladies restroom. She collided into a soft wall.

"Emma."
"Yes, Ruth, is something wrong?"
"No, but...we need this event."
"I know."
"Make sure that we get it, okay?"
"I will do my best, Ruth."
"We've been under strain these last few months, but they will be spending big money, it will tie us over for another month or so."

To say that Extravaganza Desserts were going through a tough patch would be an understatement, only the recent festive season saved them.

"I'm sure they'll go with us, the bride seems really keen."
"She's not the problem, the groom is. The man came out from his call and said that he is interested in looking around. He seems like a difficult person."

Emma sighed, that was not a good sign. The problem was that Extravaganza Desserts were expensive and prospective clients could get many of the products elsewhere for much cheaper. The distinguishing factor between them and other bakeries and dessert cafés was the quality and variety. They mostly catered to the elite, who did not mind paying extra for a donut. It seemed that even the elite were missing in the first week of January though.
It would not take them long to find another option.

Emma was happy that she had put on a bold red lipstick and a simple black kohl eyeliner, it brought out her foxy eyes to perfection. Maybe it could prevent her from moving back to her mother's  home.

"Let's be positive," Emma said, giving Ruth a smile, strutting to the clients.

Emma's glance fell on the waving April, who had a wide grin on her face. Joel glanced at her and smiled, but continued to talk to the Auburn haired man opposite him, who's back was turned to Emma.

"Emma, you're back," April said, grabbing the man's hand in front of her and Joel.

Emma smiled sitting down next to the man, opposite April, without looking at him.

"Emma, please convince my man to stay with your business."

Emma turned around with a nervous smile on her face, just as April's groom turned his face to her. Her smile faltered as she stared at a pair of familiar green eyes, but the face looked much different.

Maybe she was wrong. She had to be.
She wanted to be wrong.