Chapter Eighteen

Emma was so angry at herself for giving into the urge to look at Nathan. She called herself an idiot as she looked at her mostly eaten salad. The fact that the jerk was marrying another woman should have been enough motivation for her to keep her eyes to herself. And how could she forget that April was one of the nicest people on earth? The woman deserved all the happiness that came her way. No, she could never come between the two of them.

Emma heard someone clear their throat, looking up she found Nathan and another man looking at her. The other guy had a nervous smile on his face, whilst Nathan was the very definition of stoic.

"Ye...yes?" Emma looked from Nathan to his friend.

"Hello. I'm sorry to disturb but Nathan refered me to you," the man blurted out. "He says that you're one of the best bakers in the city."

"I...I...I am flattered, thank you, Sir." Emma glanced at Nathan before focusing on the stranger again. She was glad for her dark complexion because she was burning underneath those green orbs.

"No, don't call me that. My name is Stefan Malherbe. Just call me Stefan, okay?"

Emma nodded her head. "Okay, Sir...I mean Stefan. My name is Emmerentia. How can I be of assistance?"

"Well, I want to hire you for my wedding proposal and if all goes well, my engagement and if that goes well, my wedding," Stefan rushed.

Emma was happy, but she hoped that he'd still be that optimistic when he saw the pricelist.

"I don't care how expensive it is. The budget is almost unlimited," he answered her unspoken question. "You can be as creative as you like."

Emma glanced at Nathan who still had that blank expression. "I work at a café not far from here. Give me your contact details and I'll call you on Monday to make an appointment. If that's okay with you?"

"That's perfect," Stefan smiled, and took out his business card. "Here, call me on Monday morning. My shift will start in the afternoon. I should go, I've already taken up too much of your time. Hope to see you soon, Emmerentia."

"I'll be in touch," Emma smiled.

The two men returned to their table and Emma couldn't stop smiling. She called up Ruth immediately. Such good news had to be shared.

She had barely disconnected the call when Alexei sat down opposite her.

Alexei noticed the toothy grin on Emma's face. "I see working for me has you all excited."

"No, it's something better. We might get another big contract at Extravaganza Desserts."
"Congratulations," Alexei muttered. "Though you certainly have a way to crush a man's ego."
"I'm sorry, Mr. Popov," Emma looked down. "I'm also looking forward to looking after your mansion. Promise."
Alexei waved his hand dismissively. "I'm glad about your new contract, I was just teasing you."

Nokubonga walked by smiling at her. Emma just glared at her glad that Alexei was back checking his phone. She could just imagine the rumours going around between the employees.

When a yawn escaped escaped her mouth Emma found the courage to speak up. "Can we leave?"
"Not until we've had this champagne," Alexei replied. "Will you share it with me?"
"What are we sharing, Mr. Popov?"
He looked at Emma for a few seconds before answering, "New beginnings."
"That's sounds great. Erm...Mr. Popov, I had no idea you liked non-alcoholic beverages. Once I had an alcoholic wine by accident and it tasted horrible. Argh!"

It looked like Emma was right back in that moment from the way her face was contorted. Alexei could not help himself, he broke out into a fit of laughter.