Chapter Eleven

"Excuse me, Mr. Popov, I'll hand the keys and clothes to Svetlana and leave," Emma said, not even waiting for a reply.
"Emmerentia!" Alexei called out.

He wondered why he saw tears in her eyes. He assumed it was because she had lost her job. He felt horrible, but he was a man of principles.

"Emma, keep the clothes. Who will keep used clothes? Keep it or throw it away," the blonde Russian said, staring at the black pants and black t-shirt with the Popov's name and logo on it, as if it had a virus.
"I'll keep it," Emma replied before heading out of the back door.

Svetlana wondered why she was in such a hurry, but went back to inspecting the female restrooms.

Emma was relieved to find the Über driver already waiting outside. She couldn't stomach seeing Nathan again.

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

Nathan got a rude awakening when he fell off the high bed in his hotel room. In his hungover state he had misjudged the position of the floor and bed. He had almost broken his nose in the process.

After he took a shower he joined April in the dining hall, he was glad to see her alone. He apologized for his bad behaviour the previous night, and the sweet April forgave him. She was easy like that, he appreciated that quality in her.

The three of them were off to Clifton's second beach to confirm the wedding venue.

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

Bubbles brought the stick back to Emma, where she lay on a blanket under a sun umbrella. He might have been an old dog, but he was still very active. He loved to play fetch, but mostly he loved to spend time with her. Emma gave him a pat on the head, smiling as he layed down on his own beach towel next to the blanket. She gave him a treat and grabbed a book out of her big straw bag.

Several minutes passed, but she could not concentrate on the book. Her thoughts were haunted by Bubbles' dad. She did not want to dwell on him, it only hurt. She decided to stretch her legs. Bubbles was delighted with that development, he knew it was time to play frisbee.

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

"I'm so glad that we got that behind the back," April said, as they walked away from the venue, "The venue was the last hurdle."
"What about the dessert?" Joel asked.
"The caterers will do that. It's the same people from the venue," April replied.
"So, they'll be doing everything?" Joel questioned.
"Yes, it's better that way," April answered. "Let's go for a walk on this beautiful beach. I can't get enough of it."
"Same here," Joel said.

Five minutes later they stopped at an icecream vendor for a much needed refreshment. A woman about six places ahead of them had a beautiful dark grey husky with blue eyes. Her back was turned to them, a white sharong and her loose, mid back length coils, covered her red bathing suit.

Emma bought two icecreams for her and Bubbles, and turned around, still talking to the dog. She did not pay much attention to the crowd when she was with Bubbles. She used to feel like that about his dad. Well, she would always refer to Nathan as such, when she spoke to Bubbles. She got out of the line and licked her icecream while she fed Bubbles' one to him. The dog's icecream fell down.

"No, Bubbles. You always mess the icecream. I'm starting to think you don't like it, huh?" She cooed, bending down to pat the dog. "No, you're your father's boy, of cause you like icecream. Yes, mama's boy loves his sweet treats. Love you. Yes, I do. Oh, I love you so much Bubbles."

"Emma?"

Emma's icecream fell out of her hand when she heard Joel's voice, she saw the Aussies in the line. April and Joel walked to her, but Nathan stayed in the line. His eyes were full of questions.

"Sorry for that," Joel pointed to the icecream.
"No, it's my fault. I shouldn't eat it anyway," Emma replied.
"I'll buy you another one," Joel said.
"No...Bubbles and I have to get going."
"You can leave after having the icecream, please!" Joel insisted.

Emma was having an internal battle.

"Bubbles is so cute," April said, "Does he bite?"
"No, he's a friendly beast," Emma answered.
"He looks like it," April said, rubbing Bubbles' head. Bubbles loved the attention.
"You'll have the icecream, right?" Joel asked again.
"Okay," Emma said, "but after that we have to get going."

Ten minutes later they were all sitting on Emma's blanket. April looked at Emma's novel. It had a steamy couple on the cover. She winked at Emma, giving her a smile. Emma wanted to vanish into thin air.

"It...erm...It's not as raunchy as it appears," Emma said, tucking strands of curls behind her ears.
"I'm not judging," April said." Maybe I could get a few tips for the honeymoon."

Emma started coughing, April rubbed her back and Bubbles was licking the side of her face. After a couple of minutes the coughing spree stopped.

"What happened?" April asked.
"You embarrassed her and all of us," Joel answered.
"No, it...it's allergies," Emma lied.
"You need to get medicine for that," April said.
"It'll be over in few days," Emma said.

"Emma!"

Everyone turned to look at the owner of the voice.

"I'm coming! Wait for me," Emma shouted back. "Guys I have to get going."
"Let me help you," Joel offered.

April and Joel helped Emma pack up her blanket and towel, while Nathan stared at the man standing next to a golden Nissan Navaro twin cab bakkie, waiting for Emma.

"Emma, tell me who that man is." Nathan demanded.