chapter 4 - End of the Line

Outfits Link:

https://urstyle.fashion/collections/194917

Same Night - Day One

Lenora Hills, California

Night - Safe House - Living Room

Calliope and Jonathan were sitting on a couch, facing a female agent working for Sabina and Owens.

Mike stood behind the couch, leaning forward against it as he peered between Calliope and Jonathan at the female agent.

Jonathan was so frustrated and worried for Will, Eleven and Niko and everyone in Hawkins that he stammered over his words. "I'm sorry. I guess I'm having trouble understanding any of this. I mean, what exactly is going on in Hawkins? What's doing these killings?"

"That's what we're trying to ascertain," the agent told them.

"Where are El, Will and Niko, like right now?" Mike asked.

"For their safety, and yours, it's best you don't know," the agent told them vaguely.

Calliope scoffed. "Or Sabina just doesn't want me tracking her there and getting answers about my brother and that's why you and Owens separated us as a group to begin with. And I'm willing to bet that Will's only out there to keep Niko from losing it and lashing out at her every time he gets the chance, because she knows that Will's the only one that can calm him down."

The female didn't answer, which revealed that Calliope was right.

Calliope nodded sarcastically, turning her head to look at Jonathan and Mike, gesturing to the agent, her point proven.

Mike and Jonathan only got more frustrated with this.

"This is insane!" Mike snapped. "This is insane!"

"So this program to get Niko and El their powers back, so that Niko can get Nadia and Ruby's back?" Jonathan asked. "How long is it gonna take?"

"It could take weeks, could take months," the agent answered.

"Months?" Calliope repeated skeptically.

The female agent glanced back toward two agents standing behind her. "Until then, agents Harmon and Wallace will stay with you."

"We're not the ones in danger," Mike pointed out. "Our friends live in Hawkins. My family lives in Hawkins."

"And I'll work to contain the situation until the psionics are ready," the female agent told them. "In the meantime, it is of vital importance you do not speak to anyone about this."

Mike scoffed. "No. No way."

"I know this is difficult to understand," the agent told them.

Mike shook his head. "It's not difficult. This is impossible."

The agent stood. "There are factions within our government who are working directly against the psionics, ones who already know about Nadia and Niko and have been hunting them all over the country, and ones that would have been hunting Natasha and Eleven if they hadn't believed them to be dead, and ones that would be hunting Hailey and Ruby if they're exposed. Who are, in fact, searching for them as we speak."

"That's why Nadia and Niko couldn't risk contact before," Calliope pointed out. "That's why we can't risk it now. Someone's always listening, on radios, on phones. It's why they left the watches to Hailey and Will to use because they were the only things that couldn't alert those people."