epilogue

three months later 

"You first, m'lady."

Sophie glared at him, though she couldn't hide her smile. In fact, she could barely get the cheesy grin off her face all day, despite the less-than-ideal circumstances. 

The Neverseen were gone for now, all flown off to avoid the bomb they had planted in Foxfire. But Agent Gisela wouldn't be thrilled when she found out the Black Swan had ruined her evil schemes, and would certainly be back sometime for revenge. Plus the never ending slew of questions and halfhearted explanations had been more than exhausting.

But none of that mattered now. 

"This isn't what I imagined our first date like," Keefe admitted, tearing a hand through his hair as he studied the menu. Biana had made them both go on a "formal" date- a nice, Italian restaurant in Brooklyn, making them both dress up way too fancy for Sophie's liking.

"Well, you know, fighting against evil forces of world domination does eliminate many dating opportunities," Sophie pointed out. "But who knows? Maybe your mom will just decide she's spent too much of her time trying to blow up cities and like, I don't know, retire."

"I doubt it," Keefe laughed, but the sound wasn't bitter.

He reached across the table, taking Sophie's hand and tracing her palm absentmindedly. "You really think it's going to get better?"

"Definitely," Sophie promised. "We'll at least get the summer to ourselves. Try to be normal teenagers for a little bit. Go to the beach. Shopping. Ordinary dates like this."

"Us? Normal? Never."

"But it's better that way," Sophie insisted "Spy training only makes life more interesting, right? Fitz is happy with Chloe now that she's in the Black Swan for real, and Dex and Biana are good, and for the first time Keefe... I don't know, I really feel like I belong."

"You don't think it's too late for me?" Keefe asked softly. "I grew up and everything was wrong. My mom brainwashed me, basically. How am I supposed to pretend like everything I did to hurt you didn't happen?"

"Don't pretend. You can be real with me, Keefe. I trust you. You have nothing to apologize for. We're going to get through this together."

"It's nice to see you thinking positive for once."

Sophie smiled. "Don't act so surprised. I'm not always doom and gloom all the time."

Keefe struck a pose, imitating the most dramatically angsty expression he could muster. Sophie laughed and elbowed him beneath the table.

Spy life was hard. She had cried enough tears and experienced enough throughout the last couple weeks to know that. But deep down, Sophie knew- just like she had always known.

If she had to do everything over again, she wouldn't change a thing.