5

"And this," the teacher was explaining. "Is one of the most influential paintings of the sixteenth century, which portrays the relationship between the artist and the artistic significance of his time."

Sophie checked the directory one last time. "Guys- East wing, up ahead. We need to slip out through the left corridor."

"Okay. I'll slip out first and deactivate the sensors," Dex told them.

"As we enter the geology wing, you'll start to see some further evolution of creativity in different forms. Now can anyone tell me the three kinds of rock forms? Anyone? Come on guys, you learned this in second grade!" 

Sophie caught Dex's periwinkle eyes as he ducked away from the crowd and picked throug the lock. For a few agonizing seconds, nothing happened. But the padlock fell off the door with a satisfying click and Sophie hurried inside.

"What now?" Biana whispered, glancing around the empty hallway.

"This door. If we can get in here, we can enter through the other side where they're holding both the artifacts," Fitz answered, turning to Dex. "Can you hack through the databases?"

"I'm trying. The lock's too complicated for me to pick without deactivating more stuff, but that takes time. So I'm trying to locate the files online."

That might not have been a problem... until the sound of footsteps padding across the hallway knocked Sophie out of her thoughts.

She pressed herself against the wall, reaching for her Medler tucked inside her pocket. It would only knock the person temporarily unconscious... right?

"Dex, hurry up!" Fitz hissed, gritting his teeth.

"Almost there..."

Sophie could sense the person about to turn the corner...

"We're in!" Dex announced, swinging open the now unlocked door and slipping inside. Sophie didn't wait until he slammed the door shut to take a deep breath.

"We need someone to stay here and patrol this door just in case somebody comes," Sophie whispered. "Fitz, can you?"

"But we're Cognates!" Fitz protested loudly.

"I know. But Biana can help me sneak in and we need Dex to do the hacking stuff," Sophie told him gently.

Before he could answer, the sound of something metal slamming shut made Sophie jump. 

"Got the files that Leto wants," Dex told them, holding up a few pieces of paper. "I have to stay here with Fitz and deactivate stuff along the way. But I got into their camera feeds, so it'll be pretty easy to stay on track with you two."

"Girl time!" Biana squealed.

Sophie forced a smile. "Come on B. See this part of the museum?" She held up the blueprint for her to see. "It's closed off right now to visitors. But it's the fastest way to this exhibit, which is a straight path to the room where both the madgisidian and soprodine is being held."

"Good luck- and don't die on your first real mission!" Fitz said, which was not resssuring.

They sprinted through the door. The entire room was the size of a ballroom and every light was turned off. Sophie could practically feel the dust on the bottom of her shoes as they raced across the cold floor.... and they were just about to make it to the end of the closed exhibit before...

"Hey! What are you kids doing?" A gruff voice demanded. Sophie stopped in her tracks, reaching for her Medler.

"This is a closed exhibit, you got that?" The guard asked. "So-"

Biana's hand squeezed hers- and then again. And again.

Wait... there was a pattern there. Long squeezes. Short ones.

Morse Code.

It took two more repetitions to decipher what Biana was saying- go.

No, Sophie squeezed back.

Yes.

Sophie bit her lip and counted down in her head. When she finally got down to one...

"Hey! Where are you-?" 

But Sophie was already dashing through the door, and when she finally slammed it shut, she let herself take a few breaths.

That was when...

"Agent Gethen? Is that you?" A boy's voice called through the darkness. 

Sophie knew she was being stupid, but she ducked into the light to find herself face to face with a blonde haired, ice blue eyed boy dressed completely in black. But it was his outfit that caught her eye- imprinted with the notorious symbol...

The Neverseen eye.