20

"You don't have to pretend anymore."

The words echoed through the hollow training room, rattling repeatedly into Sophie's ears. She recognized the voice and ignored it, giving the punching bag she was training with another hard swing.

"Do you at least want to talk?" Fitz asked from the doorway.

Sophie refused to acknowledge him and kicked the worn out bag instead. It swung forward and slammed into the wall before settling back into place.

The training rooms were one of Sophie's favorite things about the agency's headquarters; one per every four people. They were about the size of four individual rooms combined, with soft foam floors, usual gym equipment, and of course, a room to supply all the complicated, dangerous spy supplies they were given each year.

Even the rooms surpassed Sophie's original expectations: two a room, (her roommate was, incidentally, Biana) but was even larger than Sophie's old bedroom before she'd been recruited: big enough to fit two full sized beds comfortably, along with two separate nightstands and a flat screen TV on the far wall.

And Dex and Fitz were the other set of roommates that shared the same training room.

"No," Sophie said bluntly, giving the poor punching bag a sharp jab and kicking it again.

"I have a message from Agent Squall," Fitz went on, ignoring her stubbornness.

"Tell her thanks."

"She wants me to tell you."

"How sweet of her."

Punch.

"You know, if you wanted us to help you with Kenric's death we could-"

"Thanks," Sophie said shortly.

Truth be told, she wasn't completely avoiding her friends just because of Kenric- even though that was a huge part of it. Some of it was Keefe- the infuriating Neverseen agent-in-training who sent her heart fluttering and her eyes watering -and...

Okay face it Sophie, she ordered herself. Keefe is the only other reason.

Her consciousness fought against the thoughts, but she knew it was true.

Punch.

"I'll just..." Fitz cleared his throat, sounding nervous. "Deliver it... erm.... Anyways."

He cleared his throat again. "She said that Tam and Linh are taking their oath at dinner tonight and Leto's choosing their manifestation. And um... you've been punching that poor thing for three hours, and dinner's in half an hour... you sure you don't want to take a break?"

Sophie paused to wipe the sweat off her forehead and took another swing.

Punch.

_______________________

"... to help my world," Linh finished, looking an odd mix of proud and nervous as she walked quietly up to Leto's podium and waited as he strung the glass Black Swan pendant on her neck.

The rest of the agency clapped politely; Linh beamed and dipped into a tiny curtsy.

"Now," Leto said, smiling. "For your manifestation. I've noticed from your time in Exillium how much you've excelled on their top swim team."

Linh nodded quietly.

"We-" Leto gestured to the rest of the Collective, whose faces were hidden behind the hoods of their cloaks. "-would like you to pursue a less common path- but one that would be essential. Would you be willing to study Hydrokinesis?"

Sophie sucked in a breath. Hydrokinetics were some of the coolest spies in the entire organization- the way they moved so quietly and quickly through the water... Dex and Fitz's dreamy sighs pretty much summed up Sophie's idea on the ability as well.

Linh nodded again, and the room cheered once more as she returned to her seat. Tam whispered something into her ear, and her smile faltered a bit.

"On a sadder note," Leto continued, and Sophie held her breath, knowing what was about to come. She looked around, wondering if there was a hole she could crawl into. "We've also gathered here today to commemorate the life and achievements of former Senator Kenric, who died in the fire set by Fintan Pyran and..."

Fitz and Biana stiffened on either side of her.

"... Alvar Vacker, members of the Neverseen."

Kenric's name seemed to demand a moment of silence, which Sophie joined in. Her eyes watered a bit, remembering Senator Oralie on TV the night before...

It took Sophie a moment to realize that the silence had ended, and Agent Leto had spoken her name.

"... it seems that we were mistaken about your... theories," He was saying carefully. Sophie tried to look attentive.

Standing on shaky legs, she made her way over to the front- but to her surprise, something fastened on her neck tightly, the way she remembered it had two years ago. Her Black Swan monocole.

"We're proud to have you back, Agent SF," Leto whispered.

The symbol dangling on her neck set a new fire inside.

This was a new start.

A new age.

A new generation.

And she was a part of it.

Her role was undecided- and Sophie was okay with that.

She swore to do everything in her power to protect her world- and she'd never felt more proud of that oath.

And standing among her fellow spies, now more than ever, she felt like she belonged.