32

"Under the name of Neverseen law," one of the cloaked figures said. "You're under arrest."

"The Neverseen law?" Sophie asked, then snapped her mouth shut as Keefe's finger twitched threateningly against the Medler.

"Nice job KS," another figure said, sounding impressed. "I thought you were too warm-and-fuzzy to do this kind of stuff."

"You said," Keefe reminded him through gritted teeth, not dropping the Medler. "You wouldn't hurt them. You'd just use them for answers- and as bait."

The figure's shrug was not reassuring. "Come along. Somebody blindfold them! I don't want them sedated though."

Somebody stuffed a gag into Sophie's mouth and a blindfold wrapped tightly around her eyes. She winced- like her head wasn't already feeling squeezed enough already.

"I'm going to handcuff Sophie!" Keefe called. He wrapped a chain around her wrist and squeezed her hand.

Sophie recognized the gesture. It wasn't just reassuring. It was a code. Morse code.

Sorry. Keep this.

A paper slipped into her hand, and Sophie put it into her back pocket. Keefe cleared his throat as the chain fastened and another person nudged her into line.

And maybe it was because she was exhausted and her head was still throbbing. Or maybe it was because the person had lied and they really had sedated her. But Keefe squeezed one last message- Foster -and the world spun to black.

_______________

Sophie woke up in a room. By herself. It looked just like the ones the Black Swan had- completely flat metal walls, no windows, an iron, windowless door, and some twelve different padlocks to secure it. Her wrists were tied together and her handcuffs were attached to the table.

But the paper was still there.

Careful for the cameras she knew was watching her, she kicked off one of her shoes and used her foot to pull out the note and place it between her arms. What was the best way to do this, so the Neverseen wouldn't know Keefe had passed her a note.

Sophie buried her face in her arms and pretended to cry- even though her eyes were frantically scanning the paper.

Dear Foster,

First of all, I'm sorry. Really, really sorry. I know I told you I was on your side- and I am. I promise. Just trust me. I can get us all out of here alive- hopefully.

Second, I can't give you my name (even though you know who I am based on who this is addressed to) just in case somebody finds out. Neither can I give you too specific information.

The guards give you food at noon. There's water included in the meal. The particular room you're in is the one I put you in- it has a vent that's rusting in the corner. They'll let you out for a few minutes each day. Splash some water on the vent each day- it's really rusty, it shouldn't take long. The vent will be able to come out, and you can escape.

Hope this helps.

The door slammed open fast enough to make Sophie's heart go racing. There was somebody walking into the room. If she didn't hide the letter... but where could she...

Sophie inched the paper into her cloak and sat up. It wasn't hard to pretend she'd been crying- probably because she had been.

"Ah. The moonlark in a cage. In her rightful place," the cloaked figure said coldly. They stared at each other for a few long seconds, before the person walked back out, and the door slammed shut, locking automatically.

Sophie stared at her water.

Just trust me.

That's what Keefe had told her.

But every day it was getting harder and harder to do.