28

Keefe made no effort to acknowledge their secret kiss over the next few days, and neither did Sophie. In fact, she had no intention to ever look him straight in the eye or say a word directly to him.

Welcome to the spy life, Biana had told her. Sophie snorted. If this was the spy life, she wanted her old life back.

It wasn't until an agent called Keefe to Agent Leto's office that Sophie sought out a chance to talk to him in private- as much as she hated it.

"Hey Foster," Keefe said, looking mildly surprised as she caught up with him. He winked. "Haven't seen you around recently."

Sophie rolled her eyes.

Don't. Don't. Don't.

But... but...

Don't.

"I need to talk to you," Sophie said, trying to keep her mannerism brisk and not totally swoon-y.

"Ask away." He pointed towards one of the hallways. "Down there?"

Sophie nodded, trying to keep her gaze off his ice blue eyes....

Don't. Don't. Don't.

Don't let him win.

"I want to come along," Sophie said finally. "And I'm going to confess outright: I don't trust you. I don't like you. And I want to keep an eye on you so you don't sell any of my friends out."

"I believe fact one," Keefe mused, stopping as they hit the door labeled Agent Leto. "And I believe you want to keep an eye on me. But fact two.... 'I don't like you...'" He winked- again.

Don't let him win.

Don't take the bait.

Don't. Don't. Don-

"Agent KS!" Leto said as the door opened. He tilted his head and glanced at her. "And... Agent SF. I'd like a word alone with Mr. Sencen, please."

Sophie tried to steel her nerves. "Um... I'd like to come along."

Leto's forehead creased in a way that did not help her queasy stomach- or Keefe's obvious smirk. "Haven't you already had your time to shine, SF?"

"I can help," Sophie offered hopefully.

Leto stared at him. Then he rubbed his temples- and when he finally looked up at her, Sophie wanted to take it all back. "I was hoping your successes wouldn't let you get a big head, SF-"

"I don't have a big head!" Sophie shouted indignantly. "I'd just like to help!"

"Stepping down is just as hard as stepping up, SF," Leto said gently.

Even Keefe winced.

"I- no that's not what I-" Sophie caught his expression and practically deflated out the door.

"Thank you, SF," Leto said quietly. "Please excuse us. I'm sure Agent Granite would be disappointed if you were late to Cognate training- as would Agent FV."

His raised eyebrow made the anger churning in Sophie's stomach want to barf. Keefe gave her a half smile as the door slammed shut, leaving her fuming outside the room.

Don't.

Don't let him win.

Don't let them win.

If Leto wouldn't let her come along....

She'd come along herself.

Sophie pulled out her Imparter, ducking behind the hallway into one of the empty corridors.

"Show me Biana Vacker."

There was a few empty minutes of silence, before Biana's face lit up the screen. "What's up SF?"

Sophie cracked a smile. "How well do you remember how to steal a car?"