Chapter 1

"I don't know why you date him, Maeve," the brunette boy started as soon as she closed the door after her boyfriend, Cecil, left.

Maeve threw her head back while groaning, "Please don't start with this, Steve. I like him, that's why I'm with him. Now stop being an overprotective brother and help me get the house ready for when mom and dad get home."

Steve followed Maeve after she started towards the living room, "You're so out of his league, Mae. You could have any person you wanted to." Maeve looked at him weirdly as he said that but he just smirked back at her, knowing what he was doing.

"Okay, whatever. Look, I like him and he likes me. Get over it," Maeve stated smoothly as she started straightening up the house so her parents wouldn't be in a bad mood when they arrived.

"Mae, will you please just listen to me," Steve practically begged. He hated the fact that his twin wasn't as happy as she could be.

"No, Steve! I've heard it a hundred times over. 'Maeve, you're too good for him. Maeve, he's a dumbass just break up with him.' I'm done listening to it," Maeve argued back. She was tired of listening to Steve complain about her relationship. "Now for the last time help me clean up."

"Fine whatever," Steve grumbled. "But I know what's really going on," he mumbled under his breath as he walked to his bedroom completely ignoring his duties to clean the house.

Steve had noticed that his sister didn't seem as happy as she used to. He knew something in her brain had switched. He didn't know what until she started talking about her new 'friend' in her biology class. He talked about her the same way he used to talk about Nancy.

Steve didn't mention it though because he knew as soon as he did, Maeve would be mad. They were twins. He knew her better than anyone. Maeve thought that these feelings were just the feelings you feel towards a best friend. She didn't even realize that she had feelings for this girl, Robin.

Steve knew yet he still loved her the same. He wanted to try to get Maeve to realize it by saying the little things like not mentioning specific genders when talking to her about her possible, future significant others.

Maeve was just as dense-headed as steve though. She refused to see it, whether it was a conscious or unconscious decision Steve didn't know. All he knew was that one day he would get her to admit it. 

*******

When the Harrington parents got home they were surprised to see a clean house but not surprised to find out it was all at the hands of the younger twin, Maeve. She had always been the more responsible one so when they found the older twin lounging out on the couch they decided it was time to change that.

That one little decision to lounge on the couch while Maeve cleaned was what led him to the small ice cream shop in the Starcourt Mall. He wasn't surprised when he showed up to work that first day he had to wear a stupid uniform. What he was surprised to see was the girl his sister had been non-stop talking about.

Robin Buckley.

A small smirk made its way onto Steve's face as he walked toward her with his head held high. "Robin Buckley, right?" he played dumb as he made his way toward her with confidence.

"Yeah. I'm actually surprised to find out you know my name," Robin said as she looked at him with a small look of shock.

"Well, I make it my mission to know all my sister's friends," Steve looked at her blue eyes. Robin's eyes held the same secret that Maeve's did.

"Why'd you say 'friends' like that?" she asked him bluntly.

Steve took a second to recover from the shock the question caused. "Oh no reason," he brushed off as if nothing happened, "I'm going to change really fast. I'll be back in a second.

"Whatever, weirdo," Robin mumbled to herself. 

'He can't know, can he? No, Robin. Nobody knows it's fine. But what about the way he said, friends? That's not a weird coincidence.' Robin shook her to snap herself out of the stupor she was in and began to get back to work.

Steve came back and Robin showed him what he was supposed to do during the day in the process the two quickly became good friends. Robin was blunt and Steve was sarcastic. It was like the universe couldn't create a better set of friends. With them both having girl troubles (Robin not knowing Steve knew) they could help each other out in the future.

*******

When Steve came home that night, he arrived at a quiet house. His parents were probably nowhere to be found, but Maeve was supposed to be home. Steve walked quietly up the stairs making his way to his twin's door. He listened for a second only to find it quiet. He was worried for a second until he peered into the room only to find Maeve asleep with a book in her hand.

Steve crept over to Maeve's bedside to grab the book only for her to wake up when he tried to grab it from her. 

She looked around quickly, startled from waking up so suddenly.

"Hey Mae, you're okay. It's just me,' Steve murmured lowly but just loud enough for her to hear. 

"Oh hey, Steve. How was work," She yawned out trying to wake up a little.

"Yeah, it was good. The girl I work with is super nice. I think we're gonna work together fine. You should come to meet her tomorrow," Steve suggested being fully aware that they already knew each other.

"Yeah okay, Stevie. I'm going to go back to sleep now. I love you, big brother," Maeve whispered tiredly.

"I love you too, little sister," Steve whispered back before standing up and covering her with the throw blanket at the end of her bed. 

He slowly walked out of her room, not making a sound, making his way back to his room to plan out what to say to try to solidify his theories about the girls' feelings.