Chapter 3

One thing Steve learned about Robin on the day that Maeve was at Scoops Ahoy with them was that Robin Buckley was head over heels for his sister and he couldn't be happier. Typically, the older sibling doesn't want their younger sibling to date but that was not the case this time.

Steve knew that he had to get Robin to admit that she liked Maeve before he could do anything so that was his goal today.

When Steve walked into Scoops Ahoy, he found Robin in a good mood which gave him hope for his goal. He walked over to her and motioned for her to follow him. It was the slowest part of the day, so he wasn't worried about anyone coming up to the counters.

Steve walked to the back and leaned up against the table that was in the room. As soon as the door closed behind Robin, Steve started talking. "You like my sister," he said bluntly.

"What- How-" Robin didn't even get a chance to be shocked as Steve stopped her.

"I didn't know for sure until just now. Your short hair doesn't do anything for when you blush by the way," Steve explained rather smugly.

"Steve, please don't say anything, to her, to anyone. Please," Robin begged. She was starting to get nervous because nobody was supposed to know, especially not Steve.

Steve walked over to her and put his hands on her shoulders, "Robin. Robin! It's okay. I'm not gonna say anything. Maeve is the most oblivious person on the planet so there's no way she's going to find out."

Robin released a breath of relief at that. "Please don't hate me for liking your sister. I've seen the way you act with Cecil and whether I show it or not, you're not the worst person in the world to work with," Robin said with a small smile.

"It's okay. I like you way better than Cecil so you're in the clear," Steve said as he took his hands off Robin's shoulders and took a step back. "Also, for the record I don't think you and Maeve are going to be friends much longer," he said with a small smirk.

"What- Wait, you're not serious. I mean I had a feeling, but I thought that was just wishful thinking. I thought I was going crazy! I thought-"

Steve cut off her rambling, "Maybe. I'm like ninety nine percent sure. I'm just trying to wait it out and for her to realize it on her own without anyone pressuring her. So that means you can't make a move or say anything to her either."

"Oh, please. You're funny if you think me, of all people, is about to make a move. Nope, I can't. Not even if I know for sure."

"Oh, great so this is going to be a long road," Steve groaned as Robin continued her rant.

*******

'What do I feel for Robin Buckley?'

That was the question that had been running through Maeve's head ever since the night before. Steve's words ringing in her ears, 'Mae, I can't tell you how you feel'. Steve had basically made her do a whole 180°.

Maeve was now rethinking and overthinking every moment from the past 6 months of being friends with Robin. She then started to go back further to when she was younger.

She used to prefer shows with women than men and she never realized it. She noticed how she was attracted to both sexes but that just confused her even more. She felt like she was drowning in all these new thoughts and feelings.

Maeve sat on the couch with the TV on, but she was nowhere close to paying attention. Instead, she was staring at the ceiling deep in her thoughts. She only snapped out of it when she heard the door open and close signaling that her brother was home from work.

"Steve, I hate you," Maeve didn't even look over the couch to make sure that it was Steve.

"Oh, well hello to you too," Steve said sarcastically. "Why do you hate me this time?" He asked as he rounded the couch and showed he wanted to sit down next to her.

"Whatever you said last night made me confused and I can't figure out why," she said with a confused tone. She was so tired of feeling confused.

"Well, it looks like both of us had very revealing days," Steve said with a light tone.

"Steve, this isn't a joke. I have a date with Cecil Saturday, and I can't have all these confused thoughts in my head!" Maeve exclaimed. It's not like she liked being confused.

"Well then make them not confused, Mae," Steve said with a joking tone and a small smirk.

"Ugh, Stevie you don't understand, it's not that easy."

"I know, I know. I'm sorry. Look just don't let anyone tell you what to do or how to feel. Know that no one is pressuring you into anything and if they do, they'll have to deal with me," Steve said watching his sister with a small smile.

"Aw, is Steve 'The Hiar' Harrington going soft on me," Maeve asked with a small smirk.

"Shut up, you dork!" Steve said then lightly punching her shoulder.

Maeve giggled, "I love you, Stevie."

"I love you too, Mae."

*******

Steve went to bed shortly after, but Maeve stayed up. It was nearing midnight and Maeve had moved to her room shortly after eleven. She was thinking about everything everyone had ever said to her, especially Steve. She knew her whole heart didn't belong to Cecil, but she just thought that she needed time to get there. 

'That's not the case and you know it,' Maeve thought to herself. She knew the truth deep down, but she just had to accept it. She kept thinking and it slowly started to come together.

When Steve was with Nancy, he came home every day talking about her. He talked about what they did, what they talked about, and even how she did certain little things. Maeve remembered getting so annoyed with Steve because it was all, 'Oh Nancy has such pretty eyes' or 'Oh Nancy's hair was so pretty today' and then it hit her.

Maeve may not have said those exact things about Robin, but she definitely thought them. She thought that Robin was the most beautiful being on the planet. She loved the way she laughed and how when she was nervous, she would start to ramble. She knew the little things like how Robin was deathly afraid of rabies. 

Maeve shot up out of bed as soon as it hit her. She ran out of her room and down the hall to her brother's room and paused. Was she really about to admit to herself and her brother that she had feelings for a girl? Was Steve going to hate her?

'No, he's your twin he would never hate you,' Maeve reassured herself. With that reassurance, she slammed Steve's door open before she could talk herself out of it. Steve stirred and opened his eyes slightly to see his sister's form walking over to his bed.

"Mae, what's wrong?" He said worriedly. The shocked look on her face scared him awake because after everything that had happened in Hawkins, he wasn't taking any chances with his sister's life.

 "I um- I- Okay, I need to tell you something, but you have to promise not to hate me," Maeve said lowly. 

"Um, okay Mae, you're scaring me."

"I- Um, okay this is hard. Steve, I think- I think I like Robin."