Chapter 5

A/N

Okay so the song I recommend for this chapter is 'i wanna be your girlfriend' by girl in red

Steve thought it was stupid. Even Maeve thought it was stupid but she was just blinded by the fact that there's a small possibility that it might work. Due to the fact that Steve thought it was stupid when he walked into work that day he walked over to Robin and muttered 'I'm sorry' to her and walked away leaving her confused.

Robin didn't know why he said that but she just brushed it off. Steve was always weird. She even teased him for it but she wouldn't be teasing him for it today.

*******

When Robin saw the girl of her dreams walk into Scoops she stopped breathing. Robing always thought she looked gorgeous. But today Maeve wasn't alone. Robin's eyes followed Maeve's arm all the way down to her hand, where it was linked with another. Her eyes trailed up that arm all the way to Cecil Hugh's face and her smile dropped.

Robin knew they were dating but they were never together in front of her. She always seemed to be in a different place than them which she was thankful for. Today she wasn't as lucky.

Robin's blood boiled but she didn't let it show. She couldn't or else Maeve would know. So instead she plastered on a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes, a small detail that Maeve noticed immediately.

Maeve felt bad when she saw Robin with a fake smile. This was hurting her and she didn't like it.

"This was a bad idea. Let's just leave," Maeve whispered to Cecil while slightly tugging on his hand.

"Mae, it's okay I promise. She'll think it's funny later," Cecil reassured her for the hundredth time.

"I think you're wrong. If you and Steve are right about this, this plan is going to hurt her. It's not fair. She doesn't deserve this," Maeve said desperately. She had stopped walking mid-sentence to make Cecil look her in the face.

Robin watched as Maeve stopped walking with a desparate look on her face. She watched closely as Maeve talked to Cecil. They were too far away to hear what they were saying but close enough to tell that Maeve was distressed. Robin became confused but snapped out of her trance when Steve came through the door from the back. 

She looked over at him to see he was looking at what she was a mere five seconds ago. Steve saw Maeve and could tell she was rethinking the idea of the plan. He looked back and forth between Maeve and Robin until he finally settled on Robin. He walked speedily over to her while observing her face. She had a frown covering her lips and her brows furrowed so much that they practically touched.

"Hey, can you cover the front for just a second?" he rushed out. "Thanks," he said without giving her an opportunity to say anything. Steve all but ran out of the store over to the couple in front of the store to talk to them.

"Maeve, it's going-" Steve got there before Cecil could even finish his sentence.

"Mae, if you don't want to do this then don't. You know what this will do if she cares for you the way you care for her. It would hurt you if she did it. Think about that," Steve said quickly. He was hoping his words would persuade Maeve to rethink her decision on the plan.

"No, Maeve it's going to work. She'll think it's funny when you tell her later," Cecil countered Steve's statements. With that, Steve looked over at Cecil with a glare. Maeve just looked in between the two with a confused look she didn't know what to do. To make matters worse, all of a sudden the two boys started arguing causing Maeve to roll her eyes.

Finally, she just got tired of listening to them and quietly snuck away. She walked up to Robin with an aggravated look. 

"Hey, you okay?" Robin questioned Maeve when she got close enough. 

"Yeah, just them two being boys and what not," Maeve stated in a joking matter. At that Robin laughed and it was like a melody to Maeve's ears. She didn't realize how much she loved that sound until now.

After Robin stopped laughing she looked back at the two boys before speaking with a slight frown on her face, "Yeah, well with one of them being your boyfriend and one of them being your brother there's bound to be problems."

"Cecil's not my boyfriend," Maeve rushed out. Robin looked at her shocked before Maeve spoke up again, this time to explain. "We broke up last night. We decided that we wanted different things in life," Maeve said vaguely.

"Oh, well okay then," Robin said with a small, hopeful smile coming onto her face. "Are you um, okay?"

"Oh yeah. It was a mutual thing. We just came out today because we had already planned it. We're just friends now," Maeve said with a small smile.

"Oh okay, then that's good. Well, the two toddlers are coming back," Robin joked which made Maeve giggle. Maeve Harrington just giggled and Robin caused it. Robin just stared at Maeve as she turned to the two boys who were walking up with angry looks on their faces.

"Your brother is an idiot, Mae," Cecil grumbled.

"Yeah, well your boyfriend is an even bigger idiot," Steve said looking at Maeve.

Before anyone could move or say anything Maeve's eyes widened and looked at Steve and all but yelled, "Former boyfriend!"

The boys looked at Maeve with wide eyes before looking at Robin who had a confused look on her face and then looking back at Maeve.

"Right um sorry," Steve said unsurely before leaving the conversation without another word.

"Did your own brother just forget that you two broke up?" Robin asked skeptically.

"Um, his friend Dustin left for the summer yesterday so he was kind of everywhere. It was a busy day for him," Maeve half-lied. Dustin Henderson did leave for camp yesterday so she wasn't lying about that part.

"Oh okay. Well, that makes sense then. He was kinda acting weird yesterday and this morning when he came in," Robin said a little unsure.

"Okay well now that we cleared that up, do you want to go to The Gap now, Maeve?" Cecil asked Maeve.

"Um, yeah let's go. Bye, Robin," Maeve said before walking away. After they were out of the store Robin made her way to the back.

"Okay, what the hell was that?" Robin didn't waste a second in confronting Steve.

"Oh, great they leave me to clean up the mess. Of course," Steve rolled his eyes. He looked toward Robin who had an angry look on her face.

"It was obviously a lie that you had a weird day yesterday because you were just fine while you were here," Robin said angrily.

"Well, I can't tell you the whole truth because I was sworn to secrecy by Maeve. Trust me if I could I would. It would make my life a hell of a lot easier. I'm sorry. That's all I can say. Just trust me when I say that whatever you do, don't give up on my sister," Steve said slowly. He was trying to hint at the truth without telling her.

Robin looked at him shocked, then confused, then angrily all in the span of a few seconds. "Fine then, whatever," she grumbled out before storming out.

Steve sighed at that. If he told Maeve the truth about Robin's feelings to get them together he was a bad friend but if he told Robin about Maeve's feelings he was a bad brother. He just hated being in the middle.

While Steve was in the back angry at the fact he was stuck in the middle of Robin and Maeve, Robin was up front, mad about the fact that she couldn't just grow a pair and make her move on Maeve. It wasn't Robin's fault that she wasn't good at relationships. It wasn't Robin's fault that she didn't want to be just Maeve's friend because all she could think about when they were together was how much she wanted to kiss her.