Chapter 4

Maeve was confused, rightfully so. She had just admitted to herself and her brother she had feelings for someone and that someone was a girl. That girl was none other than Robin Buckley, the girl Maeve had sat next to all of senior year. Maeve had made the decision to not say anything until after she talked to Cecil. She thought that she owed him that much.

Steve tried to tell her she didn't owe him anything, but she argued otherwise. He had fallen in love with her, and she was about to break his heart. She thought that she should talk to him on their date but then decided otherwise. He shouldn't have to do anything for her or with her. That why she decided to call him.

She punched in his home number and waited for someone to pick up. Thankfully when someone did it was her boyfriend.

"Hello?" His voice rang through the phone. She squeezed her eyes shut and took a deep breath.

"Hey, Cecil," She breathed out.

"Mae! Hey, what's up? You sound nervous about something. You okay?" He questioned concerned.

Maeve took another deep breath at that. "Um, yeah. I was just wondering if you could come over sometime today. I wanted to talk to you about something."

"Uh, yeah. I can be over in fifteen, is that okay?" He asked confused.

"That's perfect thank you."

"Okay I'll see you then. I love you," and with that Maeve stopped breathing. How could she do this to him?

"Okay, see you then," she said shakily. She put the phone up and let out a breath. She couldn't even bring herself to say it back. She was about to hurt him, and she felt awful.

For the next fifteen minutes Maeve paced back and forth. One, two, three, turn. One, two, three, turn. One, two-

When the doorbell rang, Maeve's heart stopped. Her head shot towards the door, and she took a deep breath. This was it. This was when she was going to hurt him. She slowly walked over to the door and opened it.

"Hey, Mae," Cecil said when he could see her through the door.

"Hey," she said meekly.

"Mae, what's wrong? I knew something was wrong over the phone but here right now i know for sure. Are you okay? Are you in trouble or-"

Maeve stopped him before he could go any further, "No, Cecil I'm okay. I just need to- I need to tell you something that's really important."

"Okay," he said unsurely.

"Come in. I don't really want to stand there all day," Maeve said with a slight joking tone but never smiled or laughed. She was trying to ease the tension that was rising.

She led them over to the living room where they both sat on opposite sides of the couch. Maeve fold herself to sit crisscross with her hands on her lap while Cecil just lazily sat next to her. Maeve turned herself towards him and had a timid look on her face.

"Mae, you're really starting to freak me out. What's wrong?" Cecil said impatiently.

"It's not that easy to just say. You're going to hate me," Maeve said sadly.

"Maeve, listen to me," he reached out to hold her hands, but she flinched away so he backed off. "I could never hate you. Whatever it is you can tell me."

"Okay, okay. You know I love you right?" She asked slowly. She watched him nod his head, so she continued. "Okay so, I love you and you love me, but I don't love you the way you love me."

Cecil stared at her slightly angry and slightly in shock. He was about to get up and storm off when she grabbed his hand.

"No, Cecil, please just listen-"