Chapter 1

After the buzzer sounded, I took a deep breath as I felt my mind return to me. I glanced around at my teammates, Aoyama and Ojiro, and found the two of them looking as dazed as I felt. My gaze shifted to the purple-haired boy that we let into our team last minute, Shinso. He didn't look bothered in the slightest.

My interest piqued and overrode any form of anger I felt at the boy that I didn't know. What the hell is his quirk? Throughout the whole battle, I was aware of what I was doing, but I had no control. My mind was almost put into a fog where my willpower floated away. It was weird. I didn't hate it. The feeling of giving up control could be appealing, in fact. But I do wish I was given a choice in the matter.

As confused and slightly upset as I was, it ended up being an okay turn of events. Our team placed 3rd because we chose not to focus on Midoriya's team as everyone else did. We collected headbands from everyone else instead. We still made it to the third-round tournament, which means that the chance to prove to Endeavor that I am just as worthy as Shoto still exists for me.

After the announcement of a noon lunch break, I turned away from my team and went to find my brother. I wanted to get his opinion on this Shinso dude's quirk. It might be useful to talk about it before we get into the tournaments. If Shinso could take over our minds, he could win. We need to figure out how he did it so that we can avoid getting trapped.

As I scanned the crowd, I saw Shoto and Midoriya walking away together while talking in hushed voices. I let out a deep, frustrated breath.

So much for talking to Shoto, I guess.

Instead, I made my way over to Mina and Kiri's group to spend time with my friends. I originally wanted to be on their team with Bakugo, but apparently, Sero's tape was more useful to Bakugo than my ice would be, so he turned me away and left me to my own devices.

"Hana," Mina bellowed, calling me over to her. A grin spread onto my face as I jogged the short distance to their group. Kami and Sero were arguing over what to do for lunch, as per usual, while Bakugo grumbled under his breath, probably cursing them for something that they said.

"Your team did well," Kiri congratulated me with a sharky smile spread over his lips. The grin stayed on my face and warmth spread through me at the compliment. Kiri has a way of spreading sunshine everywhere he goes. It's a talent, truly.

"Thanks! I'm just excited to get to fight in the tournament," I beamed. Bakugo scoffed, making me turn my attention to him.

"I'm gonna fucking win, Icy, don't get any stupid ideas," he grumbled while I rolled my eyes.

Bakugo and I are friends. Kind of. We started off hating each other, but after being partnered together in a training exercise where he had to rely on me to win, he finally realized that I'm not incompetent, and I earned his respect. Since then, his attitude has become more manageable and his company is usually entertaining.

"Don't be so sure, Bakugo," I said, feigning confidence, "I've been training hard. I could win."

"Not with a shitty ice quirk. Explosions melt ice, dumbass."

"Bakugo," Kiri scolded. I shrugged a shoulder, scratching at the inside of my left wrist. I try to remember that Bakugo doesn't mean his insults most of the time. It's just how he talks.

"It's fine, Ei. I'll just prove him wrong," I countered smugly, trying to ignore the pit of disappointment that settled into my stomach. Mina nudged me gently, reminding me not to scratch my wrists. I dropped my arms to my sides and ignored the urge to pick up where I left off as soon as she turned away.

"Whatever, losers. Let's get lunch." Bakugo stomped off, expecting us to follow him, and we did. I took a breath to recenter myself and felt the anxiousness melt away from my body.