Chapter 15

A few weeks later, my class and I sat around the tv in our living room. On it, Endeavor was fighting a Nomu that just wouldn't die. I was analyzing the fight, as I was taught to, and the Nomu is stronger and faster than Endeavor. It doesn't seem to matter how hot the flames burn. Nomu is indestructible.

I wanted to say that I felt nothing as I watched my so-called father be slammed into the ground and seemingly knocked unconscious. I wanted to feel smug. Now he knows what it feels like to be pushed so hard that you just can't get back up. But I wasn't smug. I wasn't unfeeling. I was panicked and terrified.

My hands went numb a long time ago. The feeling had spread up my arms and into my chest, and I couldn't control it. It was like watching in slow motion. Hawks was trying to save the people in a building that Endeavor burned. Endeavor was trying to stand. And the Nomu was rampaging, destroying everything in its path. I was sick to my stomach as I watched it.

Endeavor was emitting smoke, a sign that he was overheating. I wanted to yell at him to stop. I wanted to tell him that he can't be number one if he dies. But I was frozen. I glanced across the room at Shoto. He was staring at the tv in pure shock. A single tear streamed down his face. Every so often a flick of fire would come out of his left side. I felt the same. My right hand twitches occasionally. It burned with the itch to release fire that I could barely control.

Kat and Kiri sat on either side of me. Kiri was absorbed in watching the tv. He could only see what was truly an amazing fight between the new symbol of peace and a terrifyingly intelligent Nomu. Kat though, almost immediately sensed the war that was going on in my brain. I should be happy. I should want Endeavor to suffer after everything that he did to me. But the little kid inside of me is still terrified of losing her father, even though I have two fathers now who are so above and beyond better that there really is no comparison.

Kat sensed that this was going on, somehow, and he took hold of my hand and intertwined our fingers to keep me grounded and away from letting myself spiral into a full blown panic. His grip tightened and tensed when Endeavor was slammed into the ground again and again.

But as comforting as it was, I couldn't fully focus on that. I was focused on Hawks' feathers helping Endeavor's speed. It still wasn't enough. Endeavor needs more power to defeat the Nomu and he won't get it if he has to worry about civilians. They both seemed to know that. The last set of Hawks' feathers sent Endeavor and the Nomu straight up into the air. They went above the clouds and almost into the atmosphere. My heart stopped beating in my chest. He's gonna kill himself. He's already over heated. He can't withstand a blast like the one he needs to kill Nomu. He's going to die.

"Hana, breathe," Kat reminded me, but he sounded strained as well. Everyone would be. Endeavor is the symbol of peace. And he's about to die.

The blast went off and it was blinding, even though it was on tv. I gasped shakily and stood up, staring at the screen with tears threatening to fall from my eyes. I looked at Shoto to find him staring back at me with the same look on his face. Our father is about to die. I can't watch that. Even if he is the world's biggest asshole. I can't watch him die. I just can't do it.

"He's standing! Endeavor is standing," Midoriya yelled. I took a look at the tv, and there he was. Endeavor was standing. All of his flames were burned out. His costume was torn to shreds. He looked like he couldn't move a muscle without collapsing. But he's standing and holding a fist in the air, just like the world needs him to do.

I let go of a breath that I didn't know I was holding and sank to the ground, pulling my knees to my chest. Several tears fell from my eyes, and I felt like I had just been punched in the gut. The pressure of a hand appeared on my head, and I looked up to see Aizawa looking at me with a concerned expression.