Chapter 4: Mutual Rescue

By dusk, Zoro had given up his futile attempt to return to the harbour and had lit a fire, planning to sleep the night away. Increasingly severe storm clouds were threatening to kill the fire. Oblivious, the swordsman continued to polish his precious katanas. However, the sound of snapping branches and the erratic swaying of a treetop interrupted his activity. Already in his fighting stance, Zoro waited for whatever was lurking up there to reveal itself.

A girl, covered in blood and bruises, bursts from the top of the tree in question. From Zoro's perspective, she does not appear to be conscious or about to fall to her feet.

Swords clatter to the ground as the green-haired man quickly releases his hands to catch her. For a moment, he inspects the girl's body; by her injuries, she must have been into an intense battle. She may be a warrior of some kind, though she is barely his age. Wondering if girls falling from trees is something that forests just do on this island, Zoro carries the girl near the fire and tends to her wounds the best he can.

Hours go by, the mysterious girl still passed out, and Zoro starts looking for somewhere to take shelter from the storm that has grown in such a way that even he has recognised it as a threat. With the girl in his arms, as it would be stupid to lose sight of her and never find his way back afterwards, the swordsman finds a hollow tree a couple feet from where he had lit the fire. Gently, the swordsman pulls the girl to safety and sits facing outwards, his back to her. And couple of minutes later, Zoro dozes off, his palms resting on his beloved swords.

------

God... where am I? I've been out for a while; it's almost dark. Last thing I remember, I was running away from...Right, that didn't go as planned. As I tilt my head to examine my surroundings, a blast of pain guts my entire body. I grit my teeth and close my eyes until the wave of pain passes. On my second attempt to assess the scene, I find a man, sitting with his back to me.

"What... who are you?" I sluggishly manage to phrase.

A thunderclap near us startles the stranger, who apparently had been asleep until that moment. In reaction to the thunder, he grunts and unsheathes two of his katanas, ready to fight (... Thor?).

"Hey... the storm is coming," I try to warn him, but my voice is lost in the gale winds.

More lightning strikes close to us. In that moment I understand; tornado season started today. God, no, right when I can't even move from the pain.

"Hey, we've got to go!" I try harder to get his attention.

The green-haired man turns to me seemingly irritated, "You're awake?"

"A storm is our way! I know of a shelter nearby."

No more words were needed. The man grabbed my hand and slipped it behind his neck, lifting my weight. Quickly, I led him through the forest. It's not something to notice in such a dire situation, but he seems a bit... dense. After several turns, due to the swordsman going in the opposite direction to the one I indicated, we made our way towards Eulogie's house.

So close to home, so close....

The man, who had been carrying me like an empty cloth bag, suddenly stops and staggers a little, startling me. With a serious look on his face, he puts his hand to his neck and pulls out a purple dart. Oh no. I immediately recognised my opponents' poisonous weapon, and I quell the panic spreading in my stomach.

"Hey, take it easy. Here," I pull a vial from my belt, 'Drink this.'

He gives me a sceptical look, but takes the vial. After making sure the flask is emptied, I help the man lie down on the grass behind some rocks and summon all my gentleness to reassure him, "I'll take care of them, okay? Rest here for a moment."