Chapter 18: First Date

"You didn't have to come," Zoro says, slashing at an old creaking tree with inhuman ease.

"Then we'd never have been able to set a fire," I stand behind him, watching the tree fall, "and we'd have a missing swordsman. Not the best scenario."

The thud of the trunk slamming into the soil shook the ground and several birds fled, though I couldn't see them. Only the croaks and the fluttering of their wings told me. There's still a dim light on the island, but every minute brings us closer to the night, and with it comes darkness in the swampy maze.

"Always a step ahead, uh?" Zoro snorts, "Well, wouldn't you be able to find me with that thing you do?"

"You mean the sensing thing? I suppose I could," With the tree on the ground, I start chopping it into manageable parts, "Though I'm not used to using it over large areas."

"Were you born with it?" he takes the logs as I finish cutting them up.

I shrug, "Eulogie said it was probably awakened in some traumatic event."

Zoro hums, processing what I've told him. "So, you close your eyes and see people as...spots, vibrations?"

"It's more like a...visual feeling? I can't describe it. And it's different for each person. In your case, right now you're a calm, warm, somewhat greyish glow."

"You can sense my mood too?" He looks surprised, as if all this wasn't already bizarre in the first place. I may be used to it, but I don't understand beyond what I've been told.

"Not always. That's the hardest part. It's easier when it's someone I've spent time with."

Another hum from the swordsman. "Something like that might come in handy," he says, retrieving the log from my arms.

"Yeah. I should probably use it more often." I let him take the piece, but I pout, "Give me some, I can help."

"Why don't you try it now?" My complaint? Completely disregarded. He seems more excited to test the limits of my ability, and I don't need my sixth sense to know he's looking for a challenge out of this.

"Are you suggesting we play hide and seek in a murky jungle, it being almost pitch black?"

"Scared?" Zoro's blank expression turns into the one he reserves for this kind of games; a side grin and taunting eyes looking down at me. His teasing is something I always fall into, and he knows it.

"No, idiot! I just don't want to spend the night looking for you," I cross my arms, defensive. The playful vibe it's already there though.

"Then do it right," he smirks, letting the wood logs fall before his feet. "Focus. You can see me right now?"

I roll my eyes, "Yes. Though this is not a good id-"

"5 minutes," he spurts, flashing his pearly whites before marching past me.

----

6, 7, 8, 9, 10....

I can't believe I'm playing this stupid game. We should've returned by now. Luffy's going to get bored if we don't set the fire and start the night, and a bored Luffy means a potential catastrophe in the cards.

59, 60, 61, 62...

A whip of breeze makes me shiver. Damn you, bosky. I should take off with the logs and let him wander until dawn. But that would be cruel, and the idiot's wearing a T-shirt as effective in this cold as a bikini top. As soon as the time is up, I'm going to find him and scare the hell out of that smug prick.

188, 189, 190, 191...

I've been trying to focus on his whereabouts, and I'm pretty sure where he is. It's actually easy to locate him, taking into consideration there are not many people around. Besides my green-haired moron, I sense only two other presences nearby, and something tells me they are harmless.