Chapter 22: Mission Failed

-- 2 days until deadline --

Ussops' shield with his insignia, checked.

Franky's flames tattoo, checked.

Robin's book of marine's secret strategies, done.

Brooks' violin intervention, checked. With the additional gift of a panties' drawing, the only way I could think of to make his perverted dreams come true.

And I've just given Nami her present, beautifully knitted plastic gloves that will protect her if her clima-tact goes a little too electric someday. I had to put extra thought on that one, since Nami already has tons of stuff.

Enough to say, it's been quite an agitated day. I've managed to conceal the reason behind the sudden offerings to my friends, barely. To be honest, I just wanted to hug them and cry each time. Seeing how happy they were to receive silly trinkets, I wished nothing but to go hide and cry on some dark corner.

Enough. I haven't finished yet. Once everything's ready I will be able to feel like shit as much as I want. And possibly never stop. For now, I have to focus on the moment. There are only three more to go.

"Sanji! Just the person I wanted to see."

"Iris-chaan, what can I do for you? Would you like a snack, maybe?" The cook turned to greet me with his usual smile, interrupting whatever delicious cooking was on the making, "Dinner won't be ready until eight."

Declining the offer with a hand gesture, I stand in front of him, "Actually I'm here to see you, Sanji."

"Moi?" his curly brow rises in confusion. Zoro is always using the adjective as an insult, but Sanji's brows are actually quite picturesque. They suit his vibe, I think.

"Do you have a minute?" I motion him to get away from the kitchen counter, and he does. He seems to be expecting bad news now, and I internally slap myself for making this more serious than it is.

Instead of assuring him that there is nothing to worry about, I just let him figure that out by handing him the gift I've prepared. "This is for you."

Sanji seems taken aback for a minute, "A gift? It's not my birthday."

"I know. This is just a...thanks-for-being-my-friend gift!" I prompt him to take the box, "I really enjoy helping you out in the kitchen, and you are always taking care of everyone to the best of your ability. I just wanted to let you now that I appreciate your friendship."

"There is no need for a reward, Iris-chan...," he says while unwrapping the box.

His skilled fingers open the present without tearing the wrapping, and then they stop, "This...I've been looking for this everywhere! How did you...?"

"I'm just naturally good at gift giving, I guess," I smile. It has nothing to do with me reading that secret journal he keeps hidden under the cheese cabinet.

"Iris-swann, you are the sweetest thing in this kitchen!" the blond's pupils already turned into hearts, he kisses my hand with the usual over-the-top gentleman's fashion. At this point, I'm used to his attentions, and I've even grown fond of it.

"Just do me a favour: cut Zoro some slack in the future, would you? I know you guys live for being at each other's throats, but just try to be more patient with him."

"That marimo doesn't deserve your kindness, my lady, but I cannot deny a beautiful woman's request."

Just as Sanji's finishing that sentence, I can sense the atmosphere shifting. A grumpy swordsman seems to be about to enter the kitchen. Talking about the devil.