Chapter 12: New Beginnings

A cheery crowd saw the ship off early in the morning. The crew waved from the stern, grateful for the treatment they'd been enjoying over the past few days and the many gifts they'd received.

Iris excitedly waved at the inhabitants of the island until the distance became so great that it was impossible to see them. At that point, the others went back to the main deck, giving her a moment alone with her thoughts. When the island became a green dot in the distance, reality hit her; Yes, this was not a dream. She'd actually made it off the island alive, she'd defeated the enemy, with help of her new friends, and not only that, but she was now part of a pirate crew, and was about to start a life of adventure, just as she'd always wanted.

————————

"Ouch," I shake my hand as I stifle an ocean of curses.

"Again?" Franky scoffs, "I told you to leave that to me."

"Well, you also said that these planks needed new nails, right?"

"You suck at this, really." The cyborg says, analysing my work. "Is that blood?"

He points to the red drops decorating the wood. The trail of spots seems to lead to... me.

While analysing my bandages, I say, "Maybe. It's hard to know; I haven't recovered the sensitivity on my hands yet."

Indeed, there was blood oozing from my right palm. I see his expression shift to incredibility, though I'm not so sure why, and I prepare myself for the obvious conclusion.

Now I am, once again, standing on the deck, the scorching sun as welcoming as the cyborg. As expected, Franky made a fuss and kicked me out of the workshop, again. His last advice was to go get Chopper, though I'm not sure about that. I've been to the infirmary twice yesterday, and I'm sure the doctor won't be pleased to see me again.

Whatever, I sigh. Seeing that the blood doesn't seem to stop flowing, I head for the infirmary.

As I walk down the corridor, I make a mental note of the day's chores. No one gave me anything to actually do, but it occurred to me that I can be of help by going to visit each of the guys during the day. Sure, some jobs are more enjoyable than others, —Nami's map drawing is sure as hell safer than Franky's ship maintenance— but each one is important. Besides, I hate doing nothing while everyone seems to be working.

In the morning, I usually go to the kitchen with Sanji to assist him with breakfast, then I stop by the workshop and ask Franky and Usopp if there's anything I can help with. In a few minutes, Sanji will start with lunch preparations, so that's next after visiting Chopper.

The door to the infirmary opens just as I am about to knock.

The cute ball of fur appears from behind, "Oh, Iris! You scared me."

"And you scared me," I giggle.

The reindeer lets me inside, and I sit on my usual spot on the bed. I've been spending a lot of time in the infirmary, mostly against my will, but Chopper always makes the experience friendlier.

"Sorry to bother you, Choppy," I show him the wound in my hand, "but I hurt my hand again."

"Ah! So much blood!" the reindeer cries out, "Come, quick!"

The doctor promptly disinfects me and bandages me like a pro. His skills largely surpass that of Saphir, something that always leaves me with my jaw on the floor.

"Wow, Chopper, I tell you all the time, but you're amazing!"

"Your comment doesn't make me happy, baka." He blushes while wiggling.