Chapter 24: Sneak Peak

Two marines escort me to the infirmary, their tight grip on my arms making it clear that any attempt to resist would be futile. Panic courses through my veins as I consider my options.

What should I do? Zoro was left on deck, the marines attacking him, and he has SURRENDERED? What is he thinking? That idiot.

Is he stupid? I literally told him NOT to do this. What's the point of all this if he's going to fucking run towards danger? He's still injured, for fuck's sake. Desperation intertwines with fury within me as I contemplate my choices.

Once inside the sterile confines of the infirmary, the marines leave me alone in the room, waiting for the arrival of the doctor. I sit there, my mind racing with thoughts and plans. Time is of the essence—I must find a solution. No matter how, I cannot allow Zoro to throw away his life in an attempt to... I'm not entirely sure if he even has a strategy. Zoro isn't exactly known for meticulous planning.

As I gather my thoughts, the scolding inner voice is raging in my head. This is no one's but your fault. Zoro said it, he warned you. What did you think was going to happen? He said you didn't let him many options. He said he loves you.

"Couldn't he just fucking STAY AWAY?" I roar, my voice filled with anger, tears welling up in my eyes as my nails dig into the mattress beneath me.

At that moment, a man in a white coat enters the room, raising an eyebrow at my outburst while clearing his throat.

His tone is contemptuous as he asks me to sit so he can proceed with the examination, but I hardly pay him any mind. Suppressing my emotions, I attempt to gather my thoughts. Zoro will likely be taken to the ship's prison, at least for now. First things first—I need to have a conversation with him. However, with these wankers playing babysitter, it won't be easy.

The man in a white coat instructs me to cough, and obediently, I oblige. Which gives me an idea.

As he scribbles notes on a clipboard, I summon the politest voice I can muster. "Doc, would you happen to have a glass of water? I'm feeling rather parched."

The man regards me with disdain for a moment, a far cry from the ever-smiley Chopper, but eventually turns to retrieve a glass. Asshole.

I hide some medical supplies on my bra while he's not looking. While the water runs, I'm certain he can't hear me move, so seizing the opportunity, I swiftly reach for one of the scalpels on the nearby table and catch him from behind.

"That arrogance of yours gone already?" I scoff at the man, now pleading for his life.

Hearing the commotion, the two guards burst into the room, guns pointy and ready.

-----

As I plop down on the cold, metallic floor of the cell, the sound of the door slamming shut echoes in my ears, triggering a vivid flashback from what feels like a lifetime ago. Ugh, the memories.

The guards leave the room, their exit marked by the creaking of the gates, and I quickly scan the room. There, in the corner, I spot Zoro's hunched figure, his back against the wall, visibly battered. Bruises cover his body, and he clutches his chest in obvious pain. My heart aches at the sight. And it's all your fault, Iris.

"Fucking finally," his voice greets me with a hint of mockery, "Took you long enough, Miss."

"What the hell are you doing here?" I stomp towards him, my anger boiling over.

"Surrendering," he shrugs.

"Surrendering?" I snap, "I told you I was leaving because I wanted to say goodbye. Because I trusted you not to do something stupid, Zoro. And here you are."