Chapter 6: Cloudburst

"Good morning, Bosky," I greet the swordsman standing in the middle of the training area as I descend into the gym. "Are we ready for today's lesson?

"Take your weapons. You're going to fight me, for real," he says. The dryness in his voice implying the same thing as the stern expression on his face: he was in a bad mood.

Surprised by his sudden grumpiness, I replied, "But we're not at the same level yet."

"Then reach it. You must if you want to defeat the enemy," he gets into his combat stance as he speaks.

Message received, I guess. Looks like he woke up on the wrong side of the couch today. Whatever. I went to get my knives and stood in front of him, a couple of metres apart. He made the first move, as usual. And I dodged his blade, as usual. The difference between those other duels and this one is that we usually use wooden weapons; this is the first time he's attacked me with his katanas. I would be lying if I said I'm not nervous, especially considering how cranky he is, but I would never back down from a challenge.

The fight was getting increasingly heated and rough. He's not restraining himself at all; I nearly tripped a couple of times, and it's taking all my concentration not to get pierced by his relentless slashes. I was able to land a couple of blows here and there, but honestly, I'm barely keeping up.

As I blocked one of his attacks at chest level, he grabs hold of my right arm, swings, and with his other sword, sweeps underneath me. Blood is now oozing from my right limb.

"What was that? You're playing dirty!"

"You're not going to fight with gentle knights. Stop whining," he says, not sparing a glance, "Stand up."

Zoro's getting on my nerves already. Did I do something to upset him yesterday? When I woke up he was already gone, and the last thing I remember is tripping with the bottle and laying with him. Maybe he is grumpy I ruined the mood?

Whatever it is, I'm not having it, "What's your problem?"

"MY...?" his voice dangerously rose. He stopped mid-sentence as he stroked the bridge of his nose, his eyes shut. His reaction took me completely by surprise.

"You think I'm just going to let you go off and kill yourself, just like that?" he is quieter, but I can hear the rage contained.

I would've never guessed this coming, "What are you talking about?"

"Quit the pretending already. It's useless. I heard you yesterday, 'ending it all'?" His tone no longer hides his true emotions, "This silly mission of yours, taking down the slavers, it's just your way out?"

My eyes widen when the memory hits me, I thought I had dreamed of telling him that. I curse the sudden trembling in my voice, "N-no, I told you, Eulogie asked-"

"Oh, right. An old marine with connections to the highest circles of the navy, asked you, a weak little girl, to take down the whole operation. So will you not just die, you'll be murdered, or worse." his voice is as sharp as his weapons. "It's your dumbest lie yet."

His outburst took me by surprise, and for some reason I feel tears threatening to well up. He's right, secretly, a part of me had wanted to die that day, when I first faced the monsters. It had been wrong, I knew. Saphir had sacrificed himself and asked me to live, and I had almost betrayed her dying wish.

"What? You have been lying to my face this whole time but suddenly you can't speak?" he gives a step closer to me.

"You're so dense," I say under my breath as I stand up, letting the open wound bleed and ready to cover my wounded pride, "So what if it's a lie. I don't owe you any explanation."