CHAPTER TWO

Edited ✅ as of 16/03/23

Gleam woke to the sound of knocking - fast talon-taps on the door of the throne room. She started awake and watched as the lead battalion soldier, Ember, entered the room. Scarlet fixed her posture on her throne, where she'd been sleeping overnight, as the dark red dragon made his way towards her.

His scales were blood-red, with flecks of orange here and there. Many scars laced his body, and the tip of his left horn was snapped off. He had a small nick in his right ear.

A couple of lengths away from Queen Scarlet, he paused and leant down and folded his wings, bowing to Scarlet.

Scarlet looked impatient. "Yes? What?" she snapped.

Ember stood up. "Queen Scarlet," he said. "We have found a pitiful SeaWing, way in our kingdom. We have brought him to the palace for your questioning."

Scarlet hissed, narrowing her orange eyes menacingly. "Bring him in," she ordered.

Ember nodded. "Crimson! Merlot! Robin! Bring him in."

Gleam watched, intrigued, as three more SkyWing dragons entered the throne room, escorting a SeaWing. 

The SeaWing was a rather small dragon with turquoise scales.  Along his body, he had some light green flecks and towards the snout the turquoise faded into a navy blue colour. The SeaWing's gaze flicked from side to side and around the room nervously. He clumsily lurched to a stop a moment after Crimson, Merlot and Robin.

"Well, what have we here?" Scarlet's voice was filled with malice. "A SeaWing, I see? What's your name, fish-breath?" she asked sharply.

The SeaWing gulped nervously before responding. "T-Tuna."

"Well, Tuna," Scarlet growled. "What's your reason for trespassing on my territory? Baring in mind, it has to be a good enough excuse for angering me this early in the morning."

Gleam watched Tuna curiously. The poor dragon looked scared out of his mind.

"Well?" Scarlet demanded.

"I... I was looking for any bodies of SeaWings from our last battle with SkyWings, to bring them back for burial," Tuna explained helplessly. Gleam winced - that excuse wasn't going to work on Scarlet, especially since, according to Scarlet, the last battle with the SeaWing army had been months ago.

"Is that so?" Scarlet said smoothly. Tuna nodded his head so quickly Gleam thought it might fall off. Scarlet's voice hardened. "Our battle with the SeaWings was almost a year ago," she snarled, echoing Gleam's own thoughts. "Guards, take him to the prison."

Ember signalled with his talons towards the other three SkyWings, and Crimson and Robin fell on either sides of Tuna, Merlot stationed at the rear. They moved towards the throne room entrance, but were called back by Scarlet. "It's a pity for you, Tuna, that you've come on this exact day," Scarlet told him menacingly, "since today is a thrilling, blood-soaked, fighting day. You'll make a fine opponent for the arena."

Tuna's eyes were wild with fear as Ember gave him a hard shove, and the five dragons exited the throne room.

"What a thrilling  way to start to the day," Scarlet said, admiring her talons and sharpening them occasionally on a rock stationed by her seat. "I just love the smell of fear. Are you ready to fight on the arena, dear?" she asked Gleam. 

Gleam nodded nervously, then reminded herself that Scarlet wouldn't let anything bad happen to her. "Yes," she said confidently. 

"Good," Scarlet said. Gleam suddenly realised one of her palms had been clenched, and they opened to reveal a key. Scarlet flew over to Gleam's cage and put the key in the lock, then twisted it. The lock fell off, and Scarlet opened the door. She walked inside and unlocked the chains which were bound to a niche in the wall and unlocked that as well. So the key works for the chains and door, Gleam thought, reminding herself to take a mental note of that.